Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Application of Gauss's Law

1. Apr 27, 2005 #1
    A flat square sheet of thin aluminum foil, 25 cm on a side, carries a uniformly distributed -36 nC charge. What is the approximate electric field at the following positions?

a.)0.01m above surface?
    b.) 20m above the sheet?

For a.), I used E=chargedensity/(2)epsilon. From my understanding, this can only be used for points far from the edges and close to a surface.

So for b.), this formula does not apply. I cannot find anything in my notes or the text that describes this situation.

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Hint: If you are far enough away, you can treat the object as a charged particle.

4. Apr 27, 2005 #3

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try breaking it down. If the charge on the plate were a single point charge, what would the field be? If the charge was split into two point charges separated by 25 cm, how much would this change the result? What about 3 or 4?

5. Apr 27, 2005 #4
    damn, I tried that earlier because it seemed like as you got further and further away, the sheet would appear small (like a pt charge).....only problem was....I forgot to square the 20m :grumpy:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook