1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application of Gauss's Law

1. Apr 27, 2005 #1
    A flat square sheet of thin aluminum foil, 25 cm on a side, carries a uniformly distributed -36 nC charge. What is the approximate electric field at the following positions?

a.)0.01m above surface?
    b.) 20m above the sheet?

For a.), I used E=chargedensity/(2)epsilon. From my understanding, this can only be used for points far from the edges and close to a surface.

So for b.), this formula does not apply. I cannot find anything in my notes or the text that describes this situation.

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Hint: If you are far enough away, you can treat the object as a charged particle.

4. Apr 27, 2005 #3

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try breaking it down. If the charge on the plate were a single point charge, what would the field be? If the charge was split into two point charges separated by 25 cm, how much would this change the result? What about 3 or 4?

5. Apr 27, 2005 #4
    damn, I tried that earlier because it seemed like as you got further and further away, the sheet would appear small (like a pt charge).....only problem was....I forgot to square the 20m :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?