Application of Grignard reagent

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Physics lover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Application
In summary, anhydride requires 3 or 2 molecules of Grignard reagent to reduce completely and 2 to reduce partially.
Physics lover
Homework Statement
Ho wmany molecules of grignard reagent are consumed by 1 molecule of following compound-:
The complete question is in attempt at a solution.
Relevant Equations
Grignard reagent
20190924_215349.jpg

According to me the answer should be 5.I don't have the answer.I thought that 2 molecules will be used in anhydride,1 molecule in alcohol,2 molecule in cyclic ether.Can somebody tell the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Terminal alkynes are acidic and can react with Grignard reagents as well.

Ygggdrasil said:
Terminal alkynes are acidic and can react with Grignard reagents as well.
thanks for the information.Is my rest of the things correct.If it is,I would give my answer as 6.Please tell if I am wrong.

Why ether cleavage?

I’ll also point out that a hydroxyl and a nitro group on the same carbon would disproportionate to HONO and a ketone. So the compound in question wouldn’t even exist in the first place.

TeethWhitener said:
Why ether cleavage?
Sorry,I forgot that grignard reagent does not react with ether.I have another doubt now.For anhydride we will take 3 or 2 molecules,because anhydride consumes 3 grignard reagent to reduce completely and 2 to reduce partially.I think we should report it as 3.

TeethWhitener said:
I’ll also point out that a hydroxyl and a nitro group on the same carbon would disproportionate to HONO and a ketone. So the compound in question wouldn’t even exist in the first place.
ok it may happens but here i just have to tell the no. of molecules.

Physics lover said:
ok it may happens but here i just have to tell the no. of molecules.
My point is that it appears impossible to answer the question as written because the molecule can’t exist. It’s like asking what would happen if you had an aqueous solution with a pH of 20. That isn’t how pH works. Or in your case, that isn’t how molecules work.

Also, you don’t have an anhydride; you have a carbonate. Treat it the same way you would treat an ester, and then repeat the process.

TeethWhitener said:
Also, you don’t have an anhydride; you have a carbonate. Treat it the same way you would treat an ester, and then repeat the process.
Sorry that was a typo.The carbonate would need 3 molecules.
So the answer should be 5.Is it correct?

1. What is a Grignard reagent?

A Grignard reagent is a type of organometallic compound that is formed by reacting magnesium with an alkyl, aryl, or vinyl halide. It is a highly reactive compound that is commonly used in organic synthesis reactions.

2. What is the general reaction mechanism for the application of Grignard reagents?

The general reaction mechanism for the application of Grignard reagents involves three steps: 1) the formation of a Grignard reagent by reacting magnesium with an alkyl, aryl, or vinyl halide, 2) the addition of the Grignard reagent to a carbonyl compound (such as an aldehyde or ketone), and 3) the protonation of the resulting intermediate to form the final product.

3. What types of reactions can be carried out using Grignard reagents?

Grignard reagents are commonly used in organic synthesis reactions to form new carbon-carbon bonds. They can be used to add an alkyl or aryl group to a carbonyl compound, to form a new carbon-carbon bond with an alkyl halide, or to react with other functional groups such as epoxides, esters, or nitriles.

4. What are the advantages of using Grignard reagents in organic synthesis?

Grignard reagents are highly reactive and versatile compounds that can be used to form a wide range of organic compounds. They allow for the formation of new carbon-carbon bonds, which is essential in the synthesis of complex organic molecules. They also have the ability to undergo multiple reactions, making them useful for building up complex molecular structures.

5. What are the safety precautions that should be taken when working with Grignard reagents?

Grignard reagents are highly reactive and can be dangerous if not handled properly. They should be prepared and used in a well-ventilated laboratory with appropriate safety equipment (such as a fume hood). They should also be handled with caution as they can react violently with water and other protic solvents. Additionally, they should be stored in a dry environment and kept away from air and moisture to prevent degradation.