Application of Jones reagent

In summary: We give hints, but we don't give the answer.In summary, Jones reagent is a weak oxidant that can reduce primary and secondary alcohols. However, there are exceptions such as Fehling's solution which cannot reduce aromatic compounds. Benzyl alcohol is a primary alcohol and thus can be reduced by Jones reagent, but there may be other factors at play. Ultimately, the question of whether an oxidant can act as a reducing agent is debatable and not something that can be definitively answered.
Physics lover
Homework Statement
The question asked whether Jones reagent can reduce benzyl alcohol or not?
Relevant Equations
Jones reagent - a weak oxidant
I know that Jones reagent is a weak oxidant and can reduce primary and secondary alcohols and benzyl alcohol is primary,but then i remembered some exceptions,like fehling solution can not reduce aromatic compounds.So according to me Jones reagent can not reduce benzyl alcohol.Please tell me the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the question is “can an oxidizer act as a reducing agent?” Or is that a typo?

(As a side note, the Jones oxidation is not particularly weak.)

Likes Bystander
TeethWhitener said:
Are you sure the question is “can an oxidizer act as a reducing agent?” Or is that a typo?

(As a side note, the Jones oxidation is not particularly weak.)
Oh sorry,its oxidising only.It was a typo.

Physics lover said:
I know that Jones reagent is a weak oxidant and can reduce primary and secondary alcohols and benzyl alcohol is primary,but then i remembered some exceptions,like fehling solution can not reduce aromatic compounds.

What does Fehling's solution have to do with the Jones oxidation? They're two different reagents.

Physics lover said:
So according to me Jones reagent can not reduce benzyl alcohol.

In light of my comment above, what leads you to believe this is true?

Physics lover said:
Please tell me the correct answer.

That's not what we do at PF.

What is Jones reagent?

Jones reagent is a mixture of chromic acid and sulfuric acid used as an oxidizing agent in organic chemistry reactions.

What are the applications of Jones reagent?

Jones reagent is commonly used to oxidize primary and secondary alcohols to their corresponding aldehydes and ketones, respectively. It is also used to oxidize aldehydes and ketones to carboxylic acids, and to oxidize sulfides to sulfoxides or sulfones.

How is Jones reagent prepared?

Jones reagent is typically prepared by adding chromium trioxide to a solution of sulfuric acid.

What are the advantages of using Jones reagent?

Jones reagent is a strong and selective oxidizing agent, meaning it can target specific functional groups without affecting other parts of the molecule. It is also relatively easy and inexpensive to prepare.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using Jones reagent?

Yes, Jones reagent is highly corrosive and can cause severe burns if it comes in contact with skin. It should be handled with care and proper protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, should be worn when working with it.