Application of Laplace problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem and the attempt at solving it through the use of Laplace equations and differential equations. The individual encountered difficulties with the sources in the circuit and sought advice on how to solve the problem. Ultimately, the issue was resolved through the use of initial conditions and applying Laplace transform rules.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9994/27794040.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is the circuit I re-drew:
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/6752/dsc0048ga.jpg

Working out:

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/5633/dsc0049mo.jpg

I got the denominator correct, but my numerator isn't. Which means I got something wrong with the sources in the circuit, but I'm not sure where.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to read your paper. I can only offer you what I do in cases like this where initial conditions exist:

1. Change the Laplace equations to differential equations, ignoring the initial conditions.

2. Change the differential equations back to Laplace domain, using the Laplace transform rules for including initial conditions, e.g.
if F(s) = L{f(t)} then L{f'(t)} = sF(s) - f(0+) etc.

3. Then do the inverse transforms term-by-term.

This is probably equivalent to what you're trying to do, I can't tell.

Nvm, solved.

1. What is the Laplace problem and how is it used in science?

The Laplace problem, also known as the Dirichlet problem, is a mathematical concept used in science to find a solution to a partial differential equation. It involves finding a function that satisfies the equation and certain boundary conditions.

2. What are some real-world applications of the Laplace problem?

The Laplace problem has many applications in physics, engineering, and other sciences. Some examples include predicting the flow of heat in a solid, determining the electric potential in a region, and modeling diffusion processes.

3. How is the Laplace problem related to other mathematical concepts?

The Laplace problem is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as Fourier series and the Fourier transform. It is also related to the Poisson equation, which is a special case of the Laplace equation.

4. What are some methods for solving the Laplace problem?

There are several methods for solving the Laplace problem, including the method of separation of variables, the method of images, and the integral transform method. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of problems.

5. How does the Laplace problem contribute to scientific research?

The Laplace problem is a fundamental concept that is used in many areas of scientific research. Its applications in physics, engineering, and other fields allow scientists to model and understand complex systems and phenomena in a quantitative way.