1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application of Maxwell's Relations

1. Nov 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is question 2.18 from Bowley and Sanchez, "Introductory Statistical Mechanics" .

Show with the help of Maxwell's Relations that
    $$T dS = C_v dT + T (\frac{\partial P}{\partial T})_V dV$$
    and
    $$TdS = C_p dT - T( \frac{\partial V}{\partial T})_P dP.$$

Then, prove that
    $$(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V})_T = T (\frac{\partial P}{\partial T})_V - P$$
    2. Relevant equations
    The four common Maxwell's Relations. They can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_relations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The issue for me is the first part. I have managed to prove that the second is true.
    My attempt thus far:
    Using the fact that ##dU = TdS - PdV##, we can rewrite the equation as $$TdS = dU + PdV.$$
    We can then multiply and divide dU by dT to get $$TdS = (\frac{\partial U}{\partial T})_V dT + PdV.$$ However, ##\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}_V = C_v##, and so we have $$TdS = C_v dT + PdV.$$
    This then leaves me with the issue of how to convert the term PdV ##\to T (\frac{\partial P}{\partial T})_V dV##. I was considering using the relation ##\frac{\partial P}{\partial T} = \frac{\partial S}{\partial V}##, but I'm not sure how to get that to work. I'll keep working at it, but any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2016 #2
    Well, this is certainly not true! Recall that given a multivariable function ##f(x,y)##, we have
    [tex]df(x,y) = \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right)_{y} dx + \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)_{x} dy [/tex]

4. Nov 8, 2016 #3
    I solved it!
    Consider the fact that $$ dU = (\frac{\partial U}{\partial S}) dS + (\frac{\partial U}P\partial V}) dV.$$ Then since ##dU = TdS - PdV##, we can see that ##\frac{\partial U}{\partial S} = T##, or ##\frac{\partial S}{\partial U} = \frac{1}{T}##. Now, consider a function ##S=S(U,V)##.
    $$dS = (\frac{\partial S}{\partial U}) dU_V + (\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}) dV$$
    Using one of the Maxwell relations, we know that ##\frac{\partial S}{\partial V} = \frac{\partial P}{\partial T}##. We also know that ##dU_V = C_V dT##. Therefore, we have
    $$dS = \frac{1}{T} C_V dT + (\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}) dV$$
    and multiplying through by T gives
    $$TdS = C_V dT + T(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}) dV$$

A similar process using S(U,P) will give the other. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted