• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Application of Maxwell's Relations

1. Homework Statement
This is question 2.18 from Bowley and Sanchez, "Introductory Statistical Mechanics" .

Show with the help of Maxwell's Relations that
$$T dS = C_v dT + T (\frac{\partial P}{\partial T})_V dV$$
and
$$TdS = C_p dT - T( \frac{\partial V}{\partial T})_P dP.$$

Then, prove that
$$(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V})_T = T (\frac{\partial P}{\partial T})_V - P$$
2. Homework Equations
The four common Maxwell's Relations. They can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_relations.

3. The Attempt at a Solution
The issue for me is the first part. I have managed to prove that the second is true.
My attempt thus far:
Using the fact that ##dU = TdS - PdV##, we can rewrite the equation as $$TdS = dU + PdV.$$
We can then multiply and divide dU by dT to get $$TdS = (\frac{\partial U}{\partial T})_V dT + PdV.$$ However, ##\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}_V = C_v##, and so we have $$TdS = C_v dT + PdV.$$
This then leaves me with the issue of how to convert the term PdV ##\to T (\frac{\partial P}{\partial T})_V dV##. I was considering using the relation ##\frac{\partial P}{\partial T} = \frac{\partial S}{\partial V}##, but I'm not sure how to get that to work. I'll keep working at it, but any help is appreciated!

We can then multiply and divide dU by dT to get $$TdS = (\frac{\partial U}{\partial T})_V dT + PdV.$$
Well, this is certainly not true! Recall that given a multivariable function ##f(x,y)##, we have
[tex]df(x,y) = \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right)_{y} dx + \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)_{x} dy [/tex]

Well, this is certainly not true! Recall that given a multivariable function ##f(x,y)##, we have
[tex]df(x,y) = \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right)_{y} dx + \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)_{x} dy [/tex]
I solved it!
Consider the fact that $$ dU = (\frac{\partial U}{\partial S}) dS + (\frac{\partial U}P\partial V}) dV.$$ Then since ##dU = TdS - PdV##, we can see that ##\frac{\partial U}{\partial S} = T##, or ##\frac{\partial S}{\partial U} = \frac{1}{T}##. Now, consider a function ##S=S(U,V)##.
$$dS = (\frac{\partial S}{\partial U}) dU_V + (\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}) dV$$
Using one of the Maxwell relations, we know that ##\frac{\partial S}{\partial V} = \frac{\partial P}{\partial T}##. We also know that ##dU_V = C_V dT##. Therefore, we have
$$dS = \frac{1}{T} C_V dT + (\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}) dV$$
and multiplying through by T gives
$$TdS = C_V dT + T(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}) dV$$

A similar process using S(U,P) will give the other. Thank you!