Application of Maxwell's Relations

In summary, the homework statement is that the equation for the total work done in a system is equal to the sum of the equations for the work done by each individual component.
Dewgale

Homework Statement

This is question 2.18 from Bowley and Sanchez, "Introductory Statistical Mechanics" .

Show with the help of Maxwell's Relations that
$$T dS = C_v dT + T (\frac{\partial P}{\partial T})_V dV$$
and
$$TdS = C_p dT - T( \frac{\partial V}{\partial T})_P dP.$$

Then, prove that
$$(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V})_T = T (\frac{\partial P}{\partial T})_V - P$$

Homework Equations

The four common Maxwell's Relations. They can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_relations.

The Attempt at a Solution

The issue for me is the first part. I have managed to prove that the second is true.
My attempt thus far:
Using the fact that ##dU = TdS - PdV##, we can rewrite the equation as $$TdS = dU + PdV.$$
We can then multiply and divide dU by dT to get $$TdS = (\frac{\partial U}{\partial T})_V dT + PdV.$$ However, ##\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}_V = C_v##, and so we have $$TdS = C_v dT + PdV.$$
This then leaves me with the issue of how to convert the term PdV ##\to T (\frac{\partial P}{\partial T})_V dV##. I was considering using the relation ##\frac{\partial P}{\partial T} = \frac{\partial S}{\partial V}##, but I'm not sure how to get that to work. I'll keep working at it, but any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Dewgale said:
We can then multiply and divide dU by dT to get $$TdS = (\frac{\partial U}{\partial T})_V dT + PdV.$$
Well, this is certainly not true! Recall that given a multivariable function ##f(x,y)##, we have
[tex]df(x,y) = \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right)_{y} dx + \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)_{x} dy [/tex]

Fightfish said:
Well, this is certainly not true! Recall that given a multivariable function ##f(x,y)##, we have
[tex]df(x,y) = \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right)_{y} dx + \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)_{x} dy [/tex]

I solved it!
Consider the fact that $$ dU = (\frac{\partial U}{\partial S}) dS + (\frac{\partial U}P\partial V}) dV.$$ Then since ##dU = TdS - PdV##, we can see that ##\frac{\partial U}{\partial S} = T##, or ##\frac{\partial S}{\partial U} = \frac{1}{T}##. Now, consider a function ##S=S(U,V)##.
$$dS = (\frac{\partial S}{\partial U}) dU_V + (\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}) dV$$
Using one of the Maxwell relations, we know that ##\frac{\partial S}{\partial V} = \frac{\partial P}{\partial T}##. We also know that ##dU_V = C_V dT##. Therefore, we have
$$dS = \frac{1}{T} C_V dT + (\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}) dV$$
and multiplying through by T gives
$$TdS = C_V dT + T(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}) dV$$

A similar process using S(U,P) will give the other. Thank you!

1. What are Maxwell's Relations?

Maxwell's Relations are a set of equations that describe the relationships between thermodynamic properties such as temperature, pressure, and entropy. They were developed by the physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century.

2. How are Maxwell's Relations used in science?

Maxwell's Relations are used to relate different thermodynamic properties to each other, which can help scientists understand the behavior of systems and make predictions about their behavior. They are also used in the development of thermodynamic models and in the analysis of experimental data.

3. What are some examples of applications of Maxwell's Relations?

Maxwell's Relations have been applied in various fields of science, such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. They have been used to study phase transitions, chemical reactions, and heat transfer processes. They are also commonly used in the design and optimization of thermodynamic systems such as engines and refrigeration systems.

4. Are Maxwell's Relations limited to a specific type of system?

No, Maxwell's Relations can be applied to any thermodynamic system, whether it is a gas, liquid, or solid. They are also valid for both reversible and irreversible processes.

5. How can I derive Maxwell's Relations?

Maxwell's Relations can be derived using a combination of the fundamental thermodynamic equations, such as the first and second laws of thermodynamics, and mathematical techniques such as partial differentiation. Many textbooks and online resources provide step-by-step derivations of these equations for different types of systems.