1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application of Newton Law

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to understand how these Newton's laws work, specifically with an object on an incline.
    If a 5.00kg object is attached to a Newton spring scale on an incline (incline makes 30 degrees with the ground), what reading is the scale giving?

2. Relevant equations
    Fx = m*g*sin(theta)
    Fy = n - m*g*cos(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the object is not accelerating upward, the netforce will equal zero. And I can solve for the force in the x direction. But how can I use these numbers to find the tension on the spring scale?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

There are 2 forces in the x-direction... mgsin(theta) and the force the spring exerts (and this is what the spring scale reads)...

the two forces balance each other.

4. Oct 9, 2007 #3
    So I can simply ignore everything else, solve for the force in the x direction and what the spring reads is opposite of that?

5. Oct 9, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

yes, I believe so. The object and the spring scale are both on the incline right? If that's the case then the spring scale simply reads mgsin(theta).

is the spring scale attached to the incline?

6. Oct 9, 2007 #5
    It's not attached to the incline, but a wall directly behind it. I believe that if the spring scale wasn't attached to anything, then there would be no purpose for it.

7. Oct 9, 2007 #6

learningphysics

Homework Helper

yes, that's true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?