1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application of REDOX

1. Jun 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all,
    I'm fairly new to physics forums so cut me some slack for being a noob. I've just noticed that my brand new snowboard's edge has rusted (oxidised). I live in Australia and it's been stored in my room receiving sunlight everyday. I'm guessing this probably caused the rusted edge? Anyway, I learnt about Redox reactions in chemistry and I'm thinking maybe I can fix my snowboards rusted edge by creating a Redox reaction.
    I can't seem to find the exact metal the edge is made out of, but most of the info I found was that it was made from a type of steel. Therefore, if we make the snowboard's edge the oxidising agent and make it undergo reduction it will receive electrons. Would this reverse the oxidising process?
    If this would reverse the oxidisation, could anyone recommend how I will go about creating this redox reaction?

Thanks in advance,
    Ash

2. Relevant equations
    E0 values I'm guessing?

3. The attempt at a solution
    None yet

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is not the sunlight that is a culprit, but air oxygen and humidity.

Technically you are right about the corrosion being a redox process that can be reversed but it won't restore properties (shape, strength) of the steel used for the edge. You need the edge to be pretty sharp. Visit the service and ask if they can save the board, or if it has rusted beyond hope.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted