Calculating Shadow Movement Rates for a Walking Man Near a Light Source

In summary, a man is walking away from a light that is 15 feet above the ground at a rate of 5 feet per second. When he is 10 feet from the base of the light, we need to find the rate at which the tip of his shadow is moving and the rate at which the length of his shadow is changing. To solve this problem, we can use implicit differentiation and relate the man's distance from the base of the light (D) and the length of his shadow (S) using similar triangles. After finding the value of D to be 9 feet, we can calculate the rates of change to be 25/3 feet per second and 10/3 feet per second for the tip of his
Geekchick

Homework Statement

A man 6 feet tall walks as a rate of 5 feet per second away from a light that is 15 feet above the ground. When he is 10 feet from the base of the light,
a) At what rate is the tip of his shadow moving?
b) At what rate is the length of his shadow changing?

Homework Equations

I know I have to use implicit differentiation

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I have no clue how to set up the equation. I'm good at implicit derivatives but I'm not so good at word problems.

Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture and label some variables. Call D the man's distance from the base of the light and S the length of his shadow. Can you write an equation relating D and S. Think of similar triangles.

I'm don't mean to be difficult but i just don't see it. :confused:

Draw a line connecting the top of the light post to the top of the man's head and continue to where the line hits the ground. There are two similar right triangles. The man is the vertical leg of one and the light post is the vertical leg of the other. The line you drew contains the hypotenuse of both.

Alright so after I find that, which turns out to be D=9. What am I suppose to do? I don't understand what I am suppose to be finding.

Never mind I got it. a) 25/3 b) 10/3

Thanks!

What is the concept of related rates?

The concept of related rates is a mathematical technique used to solve problems involving the changing rates of two or more related variables. These problems often involve finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable.

Why is it important to understand related rates?

Understanding related rates is important in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows for the analysis of how different variables affect each other and how their rates of change can be related. This can help in predicting and understanding real-world phenomena.

What are some common applications of related rates?

Related rates can be applied to many real-life situations, such as motion and velocity problems, rates of chemical reactions, and growth and decay of populations. It can also be used in optimization problems, such as finding the minimum or maximum value of a variable.

What are the steps to solving a related rates problem?

The general steps to solving a related rates problem are: 1) Identify the variables involved and their rates of change, 2) Write an equation that relates the variables, 3) Differentiate the equation with respect to time, 4) Substitute in the given values and solve for the unknown rate of change, and 5) Check the solution for reasonableness.

What are some common challenges when solving related rates problems?

Some common challenges when solving related rates problems include identifying the rate of change of each variable, setting up the correct equation, and differentiating the equation correctly. It is also important to carefully consider the units of measurement and their conversions in order to obtain the correct final answer.