Application of Stokes' theorem

In summary: V \vec{r} d\vec{V} = \vec{a} \cdot \vec{V}where \vec{V} is the volume enclosed by the surface S.For I_2, we can use the same approach. The divergence of \vec{F} = (\vec{a} \cdot \vec{r}) \vec{n} is given by\nabla \cdot \vec{F} = \vec{a} \cdot \nabla (\vec{r} \cdot \vec{n}) + (\vec{a} \cdot \vec{r}) \nabla \cdot \vec{n} = \vec{a} \cdot \vec{n}
Heirot

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following integrals

[tex]I_1 = \oint \vec{r} (\vec{a} \cdot \vec{n}) dS[/tex]
[tex]I_2 = \oint (\vec{a} \cdot \vec{r})\vec{n} dS[/tex]

where [tex]\vec{a}[/tex] is a constant vector, and [tex]\vec{n}[/tex] is an unit vector normal to the closed surface [tex]S[/tex].

Homework Equations

Stokes' theorem, or in this case, some sort of Gauss' divergence theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure whether the Stokes's theorem can be used in this case. For instance, if we write the integrals in the component notation

[tex]I_1 = \oint x_i (a_j dS_j)[/tex]
[tex]I_2 = \oint (a_j x_j)dS_i[/tex]

then the Stokes' theorem would suggest the supstitution [tex]dS_i \to dV \partial_i[/tex] where [tex]S=\partial(V)[/tex]. This results in

[tex]I_1 = \int (a_j \partial_j) x_i dV=\vec{a} V[/tex]
[tex]I_2 = \int \partial_i (a_j x_j)dV=\vec{a} V[/tex]

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you evaluate these integrals.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that the integrands in both integrals are vector quantities, so the result of the integration should also be a vector. This means that your results for I_1 and I_2 should be vectors, not scalars.

Now, let's look at the integrals one by one. For I_1, we can use the divergence theorem, which states that for a vector field \vec{F} and a closed surface S, the integral of the divergence of \vec{F} over S is equal to the integral of \vec{F} over the volume enclosed by S. In other words,

\int_S (\nabla \cdot \vec{F}) dS = \int_V \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{V}

In our case, \vec{F} = \vec{r}(\vec{a} \cdot \vec{n}), so the divergence of \vec{F} is given by

\nabla \cdot \vec{F} = \nabla \cdot (\vec{r}(\vec{a} \cdot \vec{n})) = \vec{a} \cdot \nabla (\vec{r} \cdot \vec{n}) + \vec{r} \cdot \nabla (\vec{a} \cdot \vec{n}) = \vec{a} \cdot \vec{n} + \vec{r} \cdot (\vec{a} \cdot \nabla \vec{n})

Since \vec{n} is a unit vector, its gradient is zero, so the second term disappears. This leaves us with

\nabla \cdot \vec{F} = \vec{a} \cdot \vec{n}

Substituting this in the divergence theorem, we get

\int_S (\vec{a} \cdot \vec{n}) dS = \int_V \vec{r} (\vec{a} \cdot \vec{n}) \cdot d\vec{V}

Note that the right-hand side is the same as your integral I_1, so we can conclude that

I_1 = \int_S (\vec{a} \cdot \vec{n}) dS = \vec{a} \cdot \

What is Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates a line integral over a closed curve to a surface integral over the region bounded by that curve. It is named after Irish mathematician George Gabriel Stokes.

How is Stokes' theorem applied in science?

Stokes' theorem is used in many applications, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and differential geometry. It allows for the simplification of complex integrals and calculations, making it a powerful tool for solving problems in these fields.

What is the significance of Stokes' theorem in physics?

In physics, Stokes' theorem is crucial for understanding the relationship between line and surface integrals in the context of vector fields. It is used to derive important equations such as the Navier-Stokes equation in fluid dynamics and the Biot-Savart law in electromagnetism.

How is Stokes' theorem related to Green's theorem?

Green's theorem is a special case of Stokes' theorem, where the closed curve is confined to a two-dimensional plane. Stokes' theorem extends this concept to three-dimensional space, making it a more general and powerful tool for solving problems in vector calculus.

What are some real-world examples of Stokes' theorem in action?

Some examples of Stokes' theorem in action include calculating the circulation of a fluid around a closed loop, determining the flux of an electric field through a closed surface, and evaluating the work done by a force on a moving object. Additionally, Stokes' theorem is used in the study of fluid flow around solid objects, such as airfoils and ships.