1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application of the harmonic oscillator to an arbitrary number of free bosons

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1
    Aplication of the harmonic oscillator to an arbitrary number of free bosons

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I will like to know if my answer to this problem is correct and If not, what I am missing.

Given a system with an arbitrary number of free bosons, where the hamiltonian for one particle with two independent states is given by the equation:

[tex]
    H = :(\frac{1}{2}\pi _1^2 + \frac{1}{2}\pi _2^2 + 2\phi _1^2 + \frac{1}{2}\phi _2^2):
    [/tex]

Calculate the expected value for the Hamiltonian in the state:

[tex]\left| {\Psi \rangle } \right. = \frac{1}{2}\left| {1,0\rangle + } \right.\frac{{\sqrt 3 }}{2}\left| {2,1\rangle } \right.
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The Hamitonian correspond to two non coupled harmonic oscillators with energies [tex]E_{1}=2; E_{2}=1[/tex] in natural units.
    Since the Hamiltonian is already diagonalized, we proceed to the quantization introducing the ladders operators:

[tex]
    \eqalign{
    & a = \frac{1}
    {{\sqrt 2 }}\left[ {\sqrt 2 \phi _1^{} + \frac{i}
    {{\sqrt 2 }}\pi _1 } \right] \cr
    & b = \frac{1}
    {{\sqrt 2 }}\left[ {\phi _2 + i\pi _1 } \right] \cr}
    [/tex]

we obtain for the Hamiltonian:

[tex]
    \eqalign{
    & H = :(aa^ + )\,2(aa^ + )^t \, + (b\,b^ + )(b\,b^ + )^t : \cr
    & \cr
    & H = 2\,a^ + a + b^ + b\,\,; \cr
    & \cr}
    [/tex]

Solving the independent Schrödinger equation, we obtain that the energy of the system equals

[tex]E = 2n_1 + n_2 [/tex], where n1 and n2 indicate the number of particles for the two monoparticular states.

To calculate the value of H in the given state:
    [tex]
    \left\langle H \right\rangle = \left\langle {\Psi H\Psi } \right\rangle = \sum\limits_{ij} {\left| {C_{ninj} } \right|} ^2 E_{ninj} = \frac{1}
    {4}E_1 + \frac{3}
    {4}(2E_1 + E_2 ) = \frac{2}
    {4} + \frac{3}
    {4}(4 + 1) = \frac{{17}}
    {4}
    [/tex]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?