What is the proof of Zorn's lemma for extending linear transformations?

In summary, in this exercise, the task is to prove that a linear transformation f:S→R can be extended to all the vector space V by using Zorn's lemma. This is done by defining a partially ordered set and showing that it has a maximal element. The proof involves verifying that the relation defined is an order relation, and then showing that every totally ordered set has an upper bound. There may be some issues with the proof, but the overall idea is correct.
mahler1
1. Homework Statement .
Let V be a vector space over the field R and S be a subspace of V. Now let f:S→R be a linear transformation. Prove that T can be extended to all the vector space V, i.e., there exists f':V→R such that f' restricted to S equals f.

3. The Attempt at a Solution .
In this exercise I am supposed to use Zorn's lemma to prove the existence of f'. I define a partially ordered set as follows: P={(U,T) where U is a subspace of V which contains the subspace S and T is a linear transformation T:U→R that satisfies T restricted to S equals f}. Then, I define the relation (U,T)≤(U',T') if and only if UcU' and T' restricted to U equals T. I need to verify that the relation I defined is indeed an order relation on P, but I didn't have problems with that; it's very easy to check for reflexivity, antisymmetry and transitivity.

I want to show that every totally ordered set of P has an upper bound, so let P' be a totally ordered set of P. If I choose the set X to be the union of all elements (U',T') of P', then (U',T')≤X for all (U',T') in P'. Now I can apply Zorn's lemma: P has a maximal element which I will denote M=(W,T'') where W is a subspace of V and T'' is a linear transformation, T'':W→R. By definition of maximal element, W is a subspace which includes all subspaces which contain the subspace S and T'' is a linear transformation that satisfies T'' restricted to S equals f. To complete the proof, I need to show that the domain of T'' is all the vector space V. Suppose V is not the domain of T''. So the domain W has to be a proper subspace of V. Then there is an element v in V which is not in W and Wu<v> is another subspace of V which includes W. I define h to be the linear transformation on Wu{v} as: h restricted to W equals T'' and h(v)=0. Then (W,T'')≤(Wu<v>,h). This is absurd since (W,T'') was the maximal element of P. Then V must be the domain of T'' and T'' restricted to S equals f so T'' is the linear transformation I was looking for.

Well, I know my proof is verbose, but is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd need to show that [itex]W\cup <v>[/itex] is a subspace (it's not in general) and that [itex]h[/itex] is linear. I reckon you're on the right track, though.

1. What is Zorn's lemma?

Zorn's lemma is a mathematical theorem that states that if every chain (ordered subset) in a partially ordered set has an upper bound, then the set has a maximal element. It is commonly used in set theory and other branches of mathematics.

2. How is Zorn's lemma applied?

Zorn's lemma is often used in proofs by contradiction, where assuming that no maximal element exists leads to a contradiction. It is also used to prove the existence of maximal elements in specific mathematical structures.

3. What are some practical applications of Zorn's lemma?

Zorn's lemma has many practical applications in mathematics, including in the study of vector spaces, topological spaces, and group theory. It is also used in the construction of mathematical objects such as rings and fields.

4. Are there any limitations to Zorn's lemma?

Yes, Zorn's lemma is not applicable to all partially ordered sets. The set must have the property that every chain has an upper bound, and this may not be true for all sets. Additionally, Zorn's lemma is a non-constructive proof, meaning it does not provide a method for finding the maximal element.

5. Can Zorn's lemma be generalized?

Yes, Zorn's lemma has been generalized to other types of partially ordered sets, such as directed sets and trees. There are also variations of Zorn's lemma, such as the Kuratowski-Zorn lemma, which have slightly different conditions for the set to have a maximal element.