1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application to AC circuits

1. Oct 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that current ##I = I_0\sin{\omega t}## can be rewritten as ##I = I_0 e^{i\omega t}##

2. Relevant equations
    Euler's formula ##re^{i\theta} = r(\cos{\theta}+i\sin{\theta})##

3. The attempt at a solution
    If ##r = I_0## and ##\theta = \omega t ## then ##re^{i\theta} = r(\cos{\theta}+i\sin{\theta}) ## will be ##I = I_0e^{i\omega t} = I_0(\cos{\omega t}+i\sin{\omega t})##. The left hand side ##I = I_0 e^{i\omega t}## is correct, but the right hand side is not equal to ##I = I_0\sin{\omega t}##
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I think what you're looking at is the introduction of phasors to your toolkit. As you have spotted, eiωt is not formally congruent to sinωt. However, if one considers a phasor to be a rotating vector (a vector that rotates in direction around the origin with a constant angular frequency ω), then a projection of that vector on the imaginary axis does indeed follow sinωt. Similarly, its projection on the real axis follows cosωt. Now, eiωt can be considered to be a rotating vector, as t is a time variable. So, for example,##I_0 e^{i\omega t}## would be a phasor of magnitude ##I_0## rotating at a rate of ##\omega## radians per second.

Typically (but not always) all the phasors in a given circuit have the same angular frequency, and the convention is to drop the common ##e^{i \omega t}## from the notation. Declare that ##I## is a phasor and the ##e^{i \omega t}## is implied.

Does that help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted