1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applications of Derivatives

1. Apr 12, 2005 #1
    Hey there!

You guys aren't going to believe that I can get stuck on something this pathetically easy, but I have to ask anyway.

Find two positive numbers whose product is 108 and the sum of the first number plus three times the second number is a minimum.

Here is what I've done:

xy = 108
    x + 3y = S

Let x and y be the two numbers, and S the sum.

To find S substitute x = (108/y) into x + 3y = S

S = (108/y) + 3y

Now I need to take the derivative of the function, and set it equal to zero to find a critical number, but I can't get the right answer for this part, which is stupid because it should be so darn easy. I haven't done derivatives in awhile and now I am starting to forget them :mad:

This is what the book says :

dS/dy = -(108/y^2) + 3 = 0

3 = 108/y^2
    y^2 = 36
    y = 6

The second derivative the book says is 216/y^3

Can someone please explain how they got the derivatives to me? I feel absolutely stupid having to ask this but I figured I had better ask now so I understand it later. Thanks so much :redface:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are the derivatives of a constant,of [itex] y=x [/itex] and [itex] y=\frac{1}{x} [/itex]...

U need them all.

Daniel.

4. Apr 13, 2005 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd rewrite this as [tex]S = 108y^{-1} + 3y[/tex]

You use the power rule to find the derivative of each term. This identifies your critical points, but doesn't tell you for sure whether you have a local minimum or a local maximum.

Use the power rule, again, to find the derivative of your derivative (the second derivative). If the second derivative is greater than 0, you have a local minimum; If less than 0, a local maximum.

If you don't understand why, then graph your original function, your first derivative, and your second derivative. The relationship between them should be a little clearer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?