Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Applications of Equilibrium Constants

1. Jan 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At 1285*C the equilibrium constant for the reaction [tex]Br_2 (g) \Leftrightarrow 2Br (g)[/tex]. A 0.200L vessel containing an equilibrium mixture of the gasses has 0.245g of [tex]Br_2[/tex](g) in it. What is the mass of Br(g) in the vessel?

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried this 4-5 different ways at least and cannot get close to the answer. I started with this

[tex]K_c = \frac{[Br]^{2}}{[Br_2]}[/tex]

Rearrange that to solve for Br. I get...

[tex][Br_2] \times K_c = [Br]^2[/tex]

Then after that I am lost. I've tried converting Br_2 from grams to moles. Leaving it as grams and converting at the end. The answer in the book is in M, but I cannot even come close to that.

Any hints? I know for sure just plugging in grams of Br_2 and K_c, then solving for x doesn't get me even in the ballpark.

The book answer is 0.00767M. Which strangly enough is what I get what I convert 0.245g of Br_2 into M.

The answer I get at the end is 0.0028 M Br.

EDIT!! Nevermind. I am a moron. I had the answer right the whole time I just wasn't reading the answer book correctly. :blushing:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted