1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applications of Gauss's Law

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For my physics assignment I need show how Gauss's Law has been used in a modern technology, such as antennae's or telecommunications of some form.

I need to be able to show some worked example equations and link it back to Gauss's Law and explain how the technology would not exist without the law.

I was wondering what people thought would be a good example keeping in mind that it needs to have relating worked equations.

2. Relevant equations
    Gauss's Law: diffD=ρv/ε0

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

We are not allowed to do your homework for you here. Can you tell us more about what reading and research you have been doing on this question?

4. Aug 6, 2013 #3
    Mainly exploring how Gauss's Law works and a bit of background stuff on Maxwell's equations. I was more looking for advice from people who know more about this stuff that I do. I'm capable of doing all the actual work myself.

5. Aug 6, 2013 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

TBH, I'm not sure how Gauss' Law is something fundamental that makes the world work. After all, it can be derived from other laws, so it's not really fundamental, IMO. (see wikipedia for that discussion) Maxwell's equations, which include Gauss' Law, are fundamental, and do make the world work.

For this assignment, I'm not sure what your professor is looking for. I'd personally approach it with the fact that Gauss' Law is not independently fundamental, and it is part of Maxwell's equations, which are fundamental to so much of our world. Then I'd think more about if Gauss' Law somehow by itself provided some technology advantage. I'm not seeing it yet though.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted