Applications of Linear Systems: Electrical Networks

In summary, the current through the central resistor (the one that is 1 ohm) can be found using the star-triangle transformations and the Ohm's laws.
adc85
Hey,

How do I find the current through the central resistor (the one that is 1 ohm) in this Wheatstone bridge attached to this post? What approach do I need to take here if I were to solve this using linear systems? Our professor poorly explained how electrical networks work. I can solve the linear system once I get it but I just need to figure out what I'm supposed to do in order to find those equations. Thanks.

Attachments

• electrical_network.gif
    electrical_network.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 506
Physics news on Phys.org
Try and redraw the circuit, but simplified so it's easier to see all the "routes" the current can go through. That really helps. :smile:

Another way, without using the Kirchoff's laws, would consist of using the star-triangle transformations and compute in this way the electric potentials at the ends of the central resistor using only the Ohm's laws.

Last edited:
See that's the thing, he never drew any arrows in the problem. I think he said something like we can make up our own directions but I really couldn't understand him. Would the final answer be the same no matter what the directions were?

You can choose your own direction. If you have chosen your arrow in the 'wrong' direction, final answer will reflact that. In other words, you will get a negative result.

OK here's a revised drawing of the diagram. I labeled the direction of the current this time. Are these directions fine? I know next to nothing about how current, voltage, and resistance work.

Attachments

• electrical_network.gif
    electrical_network.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 546
Now mark the currents with some notations, say I, i, [tex]i_1[/tex].

Say the current through the battory is I.

So at the [tex]2 \Omega, 3\Omega[/tex] junction (left side in your recent picture) , let the current through [tex]3\Omega[/tex] is i and current through [tex]2\Omega[/tex] is I-i (Point rule).

Do similarly at the 3,1,2 junction (top), assuming the current through [tex]1\Omega[/tex] is [tex]i_1[/tex]. Complete the current flow diagram by writing the currents through the other resistors. Don't introduce any other variables.

You need only three variables namely I, i, [tex]i_1[/tex]. Apply Kirchoff's laws to get three equations to solve.

Some one will be along with you if there is another easy way to do this.

regards,

What is an electrical network?

An electrical network is a collection of electrical components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors connected together to form a circuit. It is used to transfer electrical energy from one point to another.

What are the applications of linear systems in electrical networks?

The applications of linear systems in electrical networks include analyzing and designing circuits, predicting the behavior of electrical components, and solving complex electrical problems.

What is Kirchhoff's Current Law and how is it applied in electrical networks?

Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the sum of the currents entering a junction in an electrical network must be equal to the sum of the currents leaving the junction. This law is used to calculate current flow and voltage drops in a circuit.

How are linear systems used in circuit analysis?

Linear systems are used in circuit analysis to model the behavior of electrical components and predict the output of a circuit. This helps in designing and troubleshooting circuits.

What are some common techniques used to solve linear systems in electrical networks?

Some common techniques used to solve linear systems in electrical networks include Kirchhoff's laws, nodal analysis, mesh analysis, and Thevenin's theorem. These techniques involve using mathematical equations and principles to analyze and solve electrical circuits.