Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applications of magnets

1. Sep 20, 2004 #1
    I want to ask about the applications of magnets

Is it possible that people who lived in a town could have health
    problems such as headaches, nausea, brain tumors.. due to an established
    plant, which distributes power to nearby towns and cities through
    hundreds of high-tension cables running along and over a residential
    area? I think it is.. but I don't know why."

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2004 #2
    What type of plant?

4. Sep 20, 2004 #3
    An eggplant! :rolleyes:

5. Sep 20, 2004 #4
    Corny eh? Not an eggplant.. a power plant..

6. Sep 20, 2004 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is no confirmed connection between the type of electro-magnetic fields that you will find near electric generating plants, high voltage wires, or transformers.

7. Sep 20, 2004 #6
    The scientific community has not reached a concensus on how/why exactly high voltage powerlines in close proximity to people for extended periods of time are linked to cancer occurence and other nasty stuff. Scientifically, it shouldn't happen, as these voltages are not high enough to cause such things in theory, but statistically the link exists. Just stay away from high-voltage powerlines. :biggrin:

8. Sep 20, 2004 #7
    A question - didn't I read a few years ago that the scientist who published the paper supposedly establishing this link admitted falsifying his data?

9. Sep 21, 2004 #8
    Still looking for an answer to my question above, but in the process I did find this site. It's titled "Static EM Field FAQ" by John E. Moulder, Ph.D, Professor of Radiation Oncology at the Medical College of Wisconsin.

http://www.mcw.edu/gcrc/cop/static-fields-cancer-FAQ/toc.html

LOTS of info there!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?