Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Applications of non linear thermistor

1. Feb 1, 2005 #1
    Bit of a strange one this:

Can anyone think of any real life applications where having a non linear thermistor (like one that didnt change a set amount of resistance for the same temperature change) would cause any problems?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2005 #2
    no one have ANY ideas? :(

4. Feb 7, 2005 #3
    *begs*

any please?? Would really really really help. I won't repost this again sorry :eek: Im just very stuck for ideas here

5. Feb 7, 2005 #4
    The thing is I think that, firstly, people that do not need a normal thermistor would not use one and, secondly, if the change was not in a set amount then the designer would add a component that would not make it explode or melt. It would be designed around the need and then which thermistor and any reasons for it to need a safety and variable switch would be added.

The Bob (2004 ©)

6. Feb 7, 2005 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seems to me it would cause problems in every situation that thermistors would be used. Non-linear sensors are not very useful; the first thing a designer will typically do is build a circuit to correct the non-linearity.

- Warren

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook