1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applications of non linear thermistor

1. Feb 1, 2005 #1
    Bit of a strange one this:

Can anyone think of any real life applications where having a non linear thermistor (like one that didnt change a set amount of resistance for the same temperature change) would cause any problems?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2005 #2
    no one have ANY ideas? :(
  4. Feb 7, 2005 #3

any please?? Would really really really help. I won't repost this again sorry :eek: Im just very stuck for ideas here
  5. Feb 7, 2005 #4
    The thing is I think that, firstly, people that do not need a normal thermistor would not use one and, secondly, if the change was not in a set amount then the designer would add a component that would not make it explode or melt. It would be designed around the need and then which thermistor and any reasons for it to need a safety and variable switch would be added.

The Bob (2004 ©)
  6. Feb 7, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seems to me it would cause problems in every situation that thermistors would be used. Non-linear sensors are not very useful; the first thing a designer will typically do is build a circuit to correct the non-linearity.

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?