Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Applications of QM and QFT

1. Jun 23, 2017 #1
    Please list all the practical applications of QM and QFT the way you know from memory.. so far the following is what I know.

Practical applications of QM:

1. Understanding the double slit experiment
    2. What else? Please enumerate

Practical applications of QFT:

1. Solving for the Magnetic Moment of the Electron
    2. What else? Please enumerate

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2017 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Well, seeing as how chemical bonding is a quantum-mechanical phenomenon....
    Most or all of chemistry, most or all of microelectronics, most or all of solid state physics.

4. Jun 23, 2017 #3

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It might be easier to list things that aren't practical applications of QM and QFT. :wink: Maybe tracking asteroids, since that doesn't involve analyzing their internal structure. But if, for example, we had to send a space mission to divert an asteroid that might come too close to Earth, we'd need QM (in the form of chemistry and analyzing chemical bond energies) to help us find the optimal rocket fuel, and to make the onboard computers work, and for communications, and...

5. Jun 24, 2017 #4
    I know almost all use QM or QFT.. I'd just like to understand their domain of applicability of each. For example. You don't use QFT on computing for trajectories of an object. You use Newtonian physics. So what applications where you can still use Schrodinger Quantum Mechanics. As I understand and I think everyone else. Quantum Mechanics means the plain Schroedinger Equation. While QFT is beyond QM.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted