Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applications of supercooling

1. Jun 28, 2008 #1
    (No, not homework)

This struck me by curiosity. What applications could supercooling possibly have? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2008 #2
    Quite a few actually.

The first thing that comes to mind is how you actually can avoid machines being supercooled. In clouds you got supercooled droplets of water and other materials, which roughs up the wings on aeroplanes. This is not good for the plane to maintain design specs.

Another would be new ways of making materials and maybe new processes in industry, although this is very speculative. :)

This is an area in physics that is very little understood to my knowledge. But please, it would be fun to hear how it works and what you use it for.

4. Jun 28, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is used in heating packs for hikers, you have a solution of some salt which is heated to melt it - it stays liquid as it cools until something triggers the freezing, ussually alittle 'clicker' that creates a shock. When it freezes it gives out heat. You recharge it by heating it to melt the substance.

I don't know but I imagine it could be used to make alloys of metals that would otherwise separate while being slowly cooled.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?