1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applicaton of taylor series

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    so F = mgR2/(R+h)2

where R is the radius of the earth. consider the situation where h is much smaller than R.

a) show that F is approximately equal to mg

b)express F as mg multiplied by a series in h/R

so i need help on getting started.

would showing that F is approximately equal to mg be the same as expressing F as mg multiplied by a series in h/R since taylor series are used as approximations?

i can pull an R2 out of the denominator and get rid of the R2 on the top and be left with mg(1+h/R2)-2 and in that case i could use the binomial expansion of a taylor series. would that solve a or b?

any other help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, expanding F as a taylor series around h=0 is exactly what they are asking for.

4. Apr 28, 2010 #3
    therefore a and b would be the same answer? just an expansion of the taylor series around h=0?

5. Apr 28, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You consider h to be small, so, yes, when h is near zero F is near mg. You don't need taylor series for the first one, if h is small compared with R you can just just put h=0 into the expression to find approximately what F is when h is small. You would use the taylor series to find out how good the approximation is. I'm not really sure what your question is. What they want in b is pretty clear, isn't it?

6. Apr 28, 2010 #5
    there is a part c to this question asking how far above the surface of the earth you can go before the first order correction changes the estimate f ~ mg by more than 10% (and assume that R=6400km)

so for that i just plug in .10 for h and 6400km for R into the first order approximation, i did so and got .9996875mg. is that saying that you can go 99.99% away from the surface before the first order estimate is changed by more than 10%?

7. Apr 28, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. You want to calculate h from the series. If F changes by 10%, then mg changes to 0.9*mg. Figure out the value of the first order correction that will change mg (at h=0) to 0.9*mg.

8. Apr 28, 2010 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

BTW mg*(1+h/R^2)^(-2) should be mg*(1+h/R)^(-2). Check the algebra.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook