1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied differential equation

1. Sep 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A tank with vertical sides has a square cross-section of area 4 ft2. Water is leaving the tank through an orifice of area 5/3 in2. Water also flows into the tank at the rate of 100 in3/s. Show that the water level approaches the value (25/24)2 ft above the orifice.

2. Relevant equations
    Rate of discharge of volume through the orifice is [itex]4.8A_0 \sqrt{y}[/itex] cubic feet per second, where [itex]A_0[/itex] = size of orifice in square feet

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\dfrac{dV}{dt}=100/12^3-4.8A_0 \sqrt{y}[/tex]

Also, [itex]V(y)=\int_0^y 4 du[/itex] so
    [tex]\dfrac{dV}{dy}=4[/tex]

By the chain rule, [itex]\dfrac{dV}{dt}=\dfrac{dV}{dy} \dfrac{dy}{dt}[/itex] so
    [tex]100/12^3-4.8A_0 \sqrt{y} = 4 \dfrac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

The problem right before this was the same except water was not being added at all, and that was an easily solvable differential equation. I am stuck on this, and when I got the answer from WolframAlpha it did not look encouraging that I was on the right track.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2011 #2
    I think, perhaps, the solution is not to actually solve the differential equation, but rather to do something like this:

Instead of trying to solve my differential equation, I just examine it at y=(25/24)^2, and see that it is zero. Examining the second derivative, we find that it is always negative so this is a maximum of y. For y less than this, the derivative is positive and above this value the derivative is negative. Hence no matter what value of y the problem starts with, as t increases it will approach (25/24)^2.

Does that seem valid?

4. Sep 27, 2011 #3
    You can demonstrate the discharge rate at y = 25/24 equals the mass influx so the level won't rise anymore.

Also you could write a DE for the rate of volume of water increase in the tank.

Atank * (dV/dt) = 100/12**3 - 4.8 * A0 * (y**2)** .5

Set dV/dt to zero and solve for y. You should get 25/24.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook