How much force is needed to tip a box with given dimensions and weight?

In summary, the box can be tipped with a force of 322.5lbs if applied at a distance of 200in from the box's top and 25in from the ground.
poyganhunter

Homework Statement

Hello, its been a long time since I've worked with statics or dynamics in college and now find myself in the workfield trying to figure out a current problem! What I am looking for is how much force is needed to tip a box.
The box i have has dimensions of:

Length=400in, width=10.75in, Height=26.25in
The box has 1500 hundred pounds of material centered, but located 7 in from ground level

If i were to push on the box in the center(200in from end), and 25 in from ground level(near top of box), how much force would that take?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

initially i used an equation of

(1500lb)(5.375in)=(F applied)(25in) which gave me an applied force of 322.5lb of applied force.

Does this sound correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
poyganhunter said:

Homework Statement

Hello, its been a long time since I've worked with statics or dynamics in college and now find myself in the workfield trying to figure out a current problem! What I am looking for is how much force is needed to tip a box.
The box i have has dimensions of:

Length=400in, width=10.75in, Height=26.25in
The box has 1500 hundred pounds of material centered, but located 7 in from ground level

If i were to push on the box in the center(200in from end), and 25 in from ground level(near top of box), how much force would that take?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

initially i used an equation of

(1500lb)(5.375in)=(F applied)(25in) which gave me an applied force of 322.5lb of applied force.

Does this sound correct?

SOme weird units you are using there, but thenumbers look OK.
You are using torques, so the final units should be ft.lb or perhaps in.lb.

what am i missing in this equation then? if it helps to add more info the issue we are having is these boxes tipping due to people pushing near the top. what I am really looking for is how much of a difference 1.5 inches would make in the height of the box. its designed right now to be 26.25 inches high, but we are thinking about increasing the height to 27.75 to accommodate the addition of another 2x4 on the bottom for a runner. what i would like to do is a comparison of the to to show the guys how much difference there is between the two..

are there any equation i should add or would be better suited?

1. What is applied force?

Applied force refers to a physical quantity that measures the amount of force exerted on an object.

2. How is applied force measured?

Applied force can be measured using a force meter or a spring scale. These tools typically have a scale that indicates the amount of force being applied.

3. How does applied force impact the tipping of a box?

Applied force plays a significant role in the tipping of a box. If the applied force is greater than the weight of the box, it will tip over. However, if the applied force is less than the weight of the box, it will remain stable.

4. What factors affect the amount of applied force needed to tip a box?

The amount of applied force needed to tip a box depends on various factors, such as the weight and shape of the box, the surface it is resting on, and the distribution of weight within the box.

5. How can applied force be calculated for tipping a box?

To calculate the applied force needed to tip a box, you need to know the weight of the box, the center of mass, and the angle at which the box will tip. This information can be used to determine the minimum amount of force required to tip the box.