1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Math + major/minor

1. Apr 6, 2009 #1

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

What would be some good major or minors that I can declare along with Applied Math?

I think I'm pretty decided on the Applied Maths part, but I'd like to do probably a double major, or a minor, just to improve my credentials and my scope of knowledge.

Do you think that's a good idea? If yes what can I pair up with Applied Math?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2
    Physics or Astronomy would be a decent pairing. Depends on the school and what they offer, I guess.

4. Apr 7, 2009 #3

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

do you think Computer Science would be a good pair?

5. Apr 7, 2009 #4
    If your applied math program has a good amount of discrete math in it, then yes. I know that applied and discrete math are two separate majors at my school, though.

6. Apr 7, 2009 #5
    I know at my school, on the website, they actually list a bunch of majors that applied math goes well with, as well as how many additional credits it would take, over and above the regular courseload for that major. For Comp Sci, it has 22 extra credits, which is the same as the physics double major with applied math that i am doing

7. Apr 7, 2009 #6

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Would you mind sharing the website with us?

8. Apr 7, 2009 #7
    no problem

http://www.uakron.edu/colleges/artsci/depts/math/ForUGStudents/second.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Apr 7, 2009 #8

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Thanks a lot. This is a great help.

Anyways, would it be beneficial spending the extra time in getting a 2nd major/minor or should I use that time to take graduate classes instead?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Apr 8, 2009 #9

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

11. Apr 9, 2009 #10
    "Anyways, would it be beneficial spending the extra time in getting a 2nd major/minor or should I use that time to take graduate classes instead? "

You should take as electives those classes which best complement your future goals. If you want to get into theoretical CS, then you should take some CS courses. If you want to get into theoretical physics, you should take some physics courses. If you want to stay in math, take graduate level courses.

12. Apr 9, 2009 #11

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Well I'm planning to go to graduate school for Applied Math. But I don't know, I heard employers are looking for people who can program and do some CS stuff, so that's why I'm also interested in taking CS classes.

13. Apr 9, 2009 #12
    How many CS courses are you planning on taking?

If you want to learn to program, that would be a good reason to take some programming-intensive software classes. Your university should offer something along the lines of a two-semester introductory sequence, followed by at least one "software construction" kind of course where you write larger programs. You may also get to take some algorithms or data structures courses. I think it would be good for a math major to learn a little more about programming than is usually required, but that's really up to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook