Applied or Pure Math: Which is More Beneficial for a Chemistry Major?

In summary, the conversation discusses the choice between applied and pure math as a concentration for a math and chemistry major. It is noted that applied math may be more beneficial for chemistry and that pure math may only have limited applications. The classes for both concentrations are also mentioned. Ultimately, it is suggested to choose applied math for the best career prospects in chemistry.
ptolema
I'm just starting out right now as a math and chemistry major. Should I choose applied or pure math as my concentration? I've been told that applied math will help me with chem, and I agree. However, I also feel comfortable with the theoretical side of things, and it's a large part of what draws me to math. My ultimate career goal is in chemistry; what are the applications/benefits of pure math vs applied math in chem?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the classes you would take in pure math vs the classes you would take in applied?

I need to take the Calc series, Diff Eq, Linear Algebra, and Analysis I for both. For pure math, I would take Analysis II, Complex Analysis, Modern Algebra, and Topology. For applied math, I would take Advanced Calc, Numerical Analysis, and Probability and Stats I.

Applied math would be FAR more benificial for you. Don't get me wrong, pure math is interesting, but it's pretty useless to you. Take it if you find it interesting, but applied math is what might help you later.

The most I can see the pure math helping you is that things like finite group representation theory might come up in some advanced chemistry (I'm unfamiliar with the details).

Realistically, most of a pure math degree won't be useful to you in any direct way.

deRham said:
The most I can see the pure math helping you is that things like finite group representation theory might come up in some advanced chemistry (I'm unfamiliar with the details).

Realistically, most of a pure math degree won't be useful to you in any direct way.

Alright, thanks!

1. What is the difference between applied math and pure math?

Applied math involves the use of mathematical concepts and techniques to solve real-world problems in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. On the other hand, pure math focuses on the theoretical aspects of mathematics, exploring abstract concepts and developing new theories and proofs.

2. Which one is more important, applied math or pure math?

Both applied math and pure math are important in their own ways. Applied math provides practical solutions to real-world problems, while pure math lays the foundation for further advancements in the field of mathematics.

3. Can someone pursue a career in both applied math and pure math?

Yes, it is possible to have a career that combines both applied math and pure math. Many researchers and mathematicians work in both areas, applying theoretical concepts to solve practical problems.

4. Is a strong background in pure math necessary for applied math?

Having a strong foundation in pure math can be beneficial for understanding and applying advanced concepts in applied math. However, it is not always necessary as many applied math problems can be solved using basic mathematical principles.

5. What are some examples of applications of applied math in real life?

Applied math has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, finance, and computer science. Some examples include using differential equations to model the spread of diseases, using statistics to analyze data in market research, and using optimization techniques to improve efficiency in manufacturing processes.