1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied math or pure math?

1. May 12, 2012 #1
    I'm just starting out right now as a math and chemistry major. Should I choose applied or pure math as my concentration? I've been told that applied math will help me with chem, and I agree. However, I also feel comfortable with the theoretical side of things, and it's a large part of what draws me to math. My ultimate career goal is in chemistry; what are the applications/benefits of pure math vs applied math in chem?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2012 #2
    What are the classes you would take in pure math vs the classes you would take in applied?

4. May 14, 2012 #3
    I need to take the Calc series, Diff Eq, Linear Algebra, and Analysis I for both. For pure math, I would take Analysis II, Complex Analysis, Modern Algebra, and Topology. For applied math, I would take Advanced Calc, Numerical Analysis, and Probability and Stats I.

5. May 14, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Applied math would be FAR more benificial for you. Don't get me wrong, pure math is interesting, but it's pretty useless to you. Take it if you find it interesting, but applied math is what might help you later.

6. May 15, 2012 #5
    The most I can see the pure math helping you is that things like finite group representation theory might come up in some advanced chemistry (I'm unfamiliar with the details).

Realistically, most of a pure math degree won't be useful to you in any direct way.

7. May 21, 2012 #6
    Alright, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook