• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Applied Math Undergrad

Main Question or Discussion Point

I think I want to major in Computational and Applied Math with a physics minor. I'm interested in pursuing a career in scientific or industrial research. What kind of grad degree would be best and if not in applied math how does one make the transition? Thanks!

Answers and Replies

scientific
You'd need a PhD in physics or whichever science you are most interested in.

industrial research
You should probably get a degree in an engineering discipline like electrical/materials/mechanical engineering. A master's would probably be necessary.

You'd need a PhD in physics or whichever science you are most interested in.

You should probably get a degree in an engineering discipline like electrical/materials/mechanical engineering. A master's would probably be necessary.
Thanks- would you know how difficult it is to get into a grad program for physics for a computational and applied math major like myself? I've done a few summer jobs in physics labs before if that helps.

You should read the sticky thread on here about becoming a physics phd if your degree is in something else. It shouldn't be too hard if you take upper level physics courses and do well on the Physics GRE, in addition to getting letters of recommendation from your summer research advisors.