1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Math Undergrad

  1. Jul 23, 2016 #1
    I think I want to major in Computational and Applied Math with a physics minor. I'm interested in pursuing a career in scientific or industrial research. What kind of grad degree would be best and if not in applied math how does one make the transition? Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2016 #2
    You'd need a PhD in physics or whichever science you are most interested in.

    You should probably get a degree in an engineering discipline like electrical/materials/mechanical engineering. A master's would probably be necessary.
  4. Jul 23, 2016 #3
    Thanks- would you know how difficult it is to get into a grad program for physics for a computational and applied math major like myself? I've done a few summer jobs in physics labs before if that helps.
  5. Jul 24, 2016 #4
    You should read the sticky thread on here about becoming a physics phd if your degree is in something else. It shouldn't be too hard if you take upper level physics courses and do well on the Physics GRE, in addition to getting letters of recommendation from your summer research advisors.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted