Applied Mathematics Curriculum

In summary, an applied mathematics curriculum is designed to equip students with practical and applicable mathematical skills for real-world problems in various fields. It typically covers topics such as calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, probability and statistics, numerical analysis, and optimization, and can benefit students in their future careers by developing critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. While it may be challenging for students who are not strong in math, with dedication and hard work, they can succeed in the curriculum. The prerequisites for enrolling in an applied mathematics curriculum may vary, but most programs require a strong background in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry, with some also requiring knowledge of pre-calculus or calculus.
kings7
Hello all,

I *finally* have my studies decided for the next 2.5 years, and I am looking for some advice from either applied mathematicians or those who work in a related field (content specialization does not matter).

I'm entering into a graduate mathematics program (officially Fall 2012, but starting with classes next semester), and I plan to either work in industry after the terminal masters, or depending on how it goes, going for my PhD in applied math. Obviously, I'm going to wait to make that decision down the line after I gain more experience.

I've attached an excel file with my curriculum for the degree, and I want to know if there are any gaps in knowledge or areas of improvement that could be added/changed, keeping in mind that this degree should be flexible enough to continue to PhD work and/or give a good basis for working in an applied field (mathematical modeling, analysis, etc.).

The most right column is just for my own sake, so you can ignore that. Also, I know that you all don't know the curriculum requirements for my school and stuff, but my classes meet the requirements. Any suggestions will be welcome even if it happens to take away from the requirements. I don't want to list the school here, but it's a well-established Michigan university (not UofM) that has a wonderful applied mathematics faculty and even has Terrence Tao coming to speak at one of our inaugurations next semester. (With that info and Google, those who are interested can probably figure out the school!)

I know this is a lot to ask, but I'm very thankful for this community and appreciative of anyone who has a few minutes to spare. Let me know if there are any questions.

Cheers

Attachments

• M.A. Applied Mathematics.xls
    39.5 KB · Views: 229
Physics news on Phys.org
!</code>It sounds like you have done a lot of research and planning for your graduate degree in mathematics. It is great that you are taking the initiative to make sure that your program is flexible enough to meet your goals, either continuing to a PhD program or working in an applied field. Given that you are already attending a well-established university with a strong applied mathematics faculty, I suggest speaking with some of the faculty members about potential areas of improvement. They will be able to tell you what courses they think would best benefit you if you plan to pursue a PhD, or give you advice on what skills and knowledge will be most beneficial in the industry. Additionally, talking to them may also give you insight into any potential projects and summer internships that could help you gain more experience in the field. You may also want to consider joining some student groups or organizations related to applied mathematics. This could provide you with contacts in the field who could give you advice on how to best prepare for a career in applied mathematics. Good luck with your studies and achieving your goals!

1. What is the purpose of an applied mathematics curriculum?

An applied mathematics curriculum is designed to provide students with a solid foundation in mathematical concepts and techniques that can be applied to real-world problems. It focuses on the practical application of mathematics in various fields such as engineering, economics, and computer science.

2. What topics are typically covered in an applied mathematics curriculum?

An applied mathematics curriculum typically includes topics such as calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, probability and statistics, numerical analysis, and optimization. It may also cover specific applications of mathematics in different fields, such as financial mathematics or computational biology.

3. Is an applied mathematics curriculum suitable for students who are not strong in math?

An applied mathematics curriculum can be challenging for students who are not strong in math, as it requires a solid understanding of mathematical concepts. However, with dedication and hard work, students can improve their math skills and succeed in an applied mathematics curriculum.

4. How can an applied mathematics curriculum benefit students in their future careers?

An applied mathematics curriculum can provide students with critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are highly valued in many industries. It can also prepare students for careers in fields such as finance, data analysis, and engineering, where a strong foundation in mathematics is essential.

5. Are there any prerequisites for enrolling in an applied mathematics curriculum?

The prerequisites for an applied mathematics curriculum may vary depending on the institution and program. However, most programs typically require a strong background in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Some programs may also require knowledge of pre-calculus or calculus. It is best to check with the specific institution for their specific prerequisites.