1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Mathematics?

1. Nov 21, 2005 #1
    If I were to major in applied mathematics, what courses would I normally take? Secondly, is it possible to get a PhD in applied math?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2005 #2
    Since I know you're thinking about Penn State University, you can read about the Undergraduate Mathematics programs at: http://www.math.psu.edu/UG

Click "Information for Math Majors" for good information. Also, feel free to e-mail the math professors with your questions.

4. Nov 21, 2005 #3
    Im getting a minor in applied math and its basically just taking a bunch of courses outside of the math department that are very math intensive, like physical chemistry. This is in addition to taking math courses through diff eq.

5. Nov 22, 2005 #4
    my applied mathematics majors has me taking combinatorics, probability and statististics, numerical methods, operations research, theory of interest, data analysis, etc. it's very different from the pure mathematics major.

6. Nov 24, 2005 #5
    I know there is not alot you can usually do with just a B.S. in Math and that I Ph.D. is preferred, but what about the middle ground? Are the job prospects good for an M.S. in applied Math?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?