Applied Maxima and Minima

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of making an open box with the largest possible volume from a 30- by 42 inch piece of sheet metal by cutting congruent squares from the corners and folding up the sides. The main question is what size square should be cut from each corner to achieve the maximum volume. The conversation also mentions finding the critical points and determining the maximum volume, as well as considering how to find local extrema and absolute maxima.
courtrigrad
Hello all

You are planning to make an open box from a 30- by 42 inch piece of sheet metal by cutting congruent squares from the corners and folding up the sides. You want the box to have the largest possible volume.

(a) What size square should you cut from each corner? (gice side length of square)

(b) What is the largest possible volume the box will have

I know [tex] V(x) = x(30-2x)(42-2x) [/tex]

So [tex] V'(x) = (30 - 2 x) (42 - 2 x) - 2 x (42 - 2 x) - 2 x (30 - 2 x) [/tex]

I find the critical points, however how do I find the maximum volume. Also I am not sure how you would find what square size you should cut. Shouldn't you find the maximum volume?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Both questions are really solved simultaneously. You are trying to find the value of x that makes V(x) take on the greatest value, thus that value for x will be the length of the side of the square you cut.

Here are some questions to get you started:
How do you find local extrema of a function?
How do you find absloute max?
what values of x make V(x) meaningless?

for sharing this problem with us! Finding the maximum volume of the box is indeed the goal of this problem. To find the maximum volume, you need to use the first derivative test to identify the critical points, and then use the second derivative test to determine whether the critical points are maximum or minimum points.

To find the size of the square that should be cut from each corner, you need to set the first derivative equal to 0 and solve for x. This will give you the value of x that maximizes the volume.

If you are having trouble finding the critical points or determining the maximum volume, I suggest reviewing the process of finding extrema using derivatives and also checking your calculations. This problem can also be solved using graphing software or a graphing calculator to visualize the function and its extrema.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem-solving!

What is "Applied Maxima and Minima"?

"Applied Maxima and Minima" is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the maximum and minimum values of a function or equation in a given interval. It has various applications in fields such as economics, engineering, and physics.

What is the difference between maxima and minima?

Maxima refers to the highest point or peak of a function, while minima refers to the lowest point or valley of a function. In other words, maxima is the largest value of a function, while minima is the smallest value.

How do you find maxima and minima of a function?

To find maxima and minima, you first need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable to find the critical points. Next, evaluate the second derivative at each critical point. If the second derivative is positive, the critical point is a minimum, and if it is negative, the critical point is a maximum.

What are the real-life applications of applied maxima and minima?

Applied maxima and minima have various real-life applications, such as optimizing production processes in manufacturing, maximizing profits in business, determining the minimum cost for a given project, and finding the optimal route for transportation.

What are the limitations of applied maxima and minima?

One limitation of applied maxima and minima is that it only works for continuous functions. It also assumes that the function is differentiable, which may not always be the case in real-life situations. Additionally, finding the global maximum or minimum can be challenging when dealing with complex functions with multiple variables.