Is a Basic Understanding of Matlab Enough for Applied Numerical Methods?

In summary, the instructor does not emphasize Matlab in this applied numerical methods course, but students can still use it to do the math they learn. However, this lack of competence in Matlab might not have any negative effects further down the road.
eurekameh
So I'm taking an applied numerical methods course this year, and we are not putting any emphasis on Matlab. Well, we do use it on homeworks and assignments, but he does not teach us more than the very basics (for, while loops, if iterations). The weird thing is that all the math we learn in the class can be done on Matlab using these very basic operations.

I know that there is a time limit in which all of this material can be taught, but what I'm wondering is: will this lack of competence in Matlab effect me in any way further down the road (whether it be in industry or research)? Why isn't Matlab taught extensively, since it is what makes numerical methods possible, for lack of a better word?

Physics news on Phys.org
Matlab is terrible you should be glad not to be exposed to it. I have heard of classes using Matlab without warning students. That should be illegal. Minor differences in syntax are unimportant to learning ideas. While snapping a rubber band repeatedly on your nose is more productive and less painful, no one is preventing you from using Matlab on the side.

I never used MATLAB (well I did once...)and I suspect that this numerical method class is more focus on teaching you the ideas behind numerical tehcniques than how to do it via a program. Besides programs like matlab, mathematica, maple, etc, can all be learned with practice and should be learned if you feel you'll need them, but on your own time.

eurekameh said:
he does not teach us more than the very basics (for, while loops, if iterations).

Good for him. Those are all the logical constructons that you actually need, to write programs in any language. The only other "must know" thing about practical computer programming is recursion IMO, but numerical methods and Matlab don't provide much motivation for learning about that.

It's much better to learn and practise the basics of "how to program" thoroughly, than to fill your head with half-remembered and half-understood facts about all the special purpose commands and functions in one particular language. Learn the basics properly, and you will be able to get productive in ANY programming language in a couple of days, as and when you need to learn it.

Also note that lots of numerics is done outside of Matlab, and knowing the basics might be more useful in the long run. For example, for a huge percentage of problems, python with scipy/numpy is a viable and easily available alternative. Also most of the hardcore number crunching in science is done with home-made or special purpose programs (because general programs do not offer the required techniques, or offer them at an insufficent level of sophistication).

What is the definition of applied numerical methods?

Applied numerical methods are mathematical techniques that are used to solve problems in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and finance. These methods involve using numerical algorithms and computer programming to find approximate solutions to complex problems that cannot be solved analytically.

What are the common applications of numerical methods?

Numerical methods are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are often used to solve differential equations, optimize systems, and simulate complex phenomena. They are also essential in data analysis and machine learning.

What are the advantages of using numerical methods?

Numerical methods offer several advantages over analytical methods, including the ability to solve complex problems that cannot be solved analytically, the ability to handle large amounts of data, and the ability to provide approximate solutions quickly. They also allow for the solution of problems that would be impossible to solve without the use of computers.

What are the limitations of numerical methods?

Numerical methods have certain limitations, including the possibility of introducing errors due to rounding and truncation, the need for careful selection of algorithms and parameters, and the reliance on a computer's numerical precision. They also require a good understanding of the underlying mathematical principles to ensure accurate results.

How are numerical methods tested and validated?

Numerical methods are tested and validated through a combination of mathematical analysis, comparison with analytical solutions, and experimentation. This involves running tests with different inputs and parameters to evaluate the accuracy and efficiency of the method. Additionally, numerical methods are often compared with results from other methods to ensure consistency and reliability.