1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Optimization

1. Mar 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An isosceles triangle has a base of length 4 and two sides of length 2sqrt(2). Let P be a point on the perpendicular bisector of the base. Find the location P that minimizes the sum of the distances between P and the three vertices.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

Putting this on the cartesian coordinate system leaves me with one vertex, v1, at (0,0), v2 at (2,sqrt(2)) and v3 at (4,0).

The distance between the vertices and P would then be [tex]D_1=(2-x)^2+(\sqrt{2}-y)^2 \; \; D_2=(x-0)^2+(\sqrt{2}-y)^2 \; \; D_3=(4-x)^2+(0-y)^2[/tex] Their sum is my objective function, so [tex]D_t=(2-x)^2+(\sqrt{2}-y)^2 + (x-0)^2+(\sqrt{2}-y)^2 + (4-x)^2+(0-y)^2[/tex]

I'm assuming that I can come up with a constraint by similar triangles, but this seems like an incredibly obtuse way of solving this problem. Could someone point me to a better direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2015 #2
    Choose a coordinate system so that the perpendicular bisector becomes your y-axis. That would simplify things.

4. Mar 27, 2015 #3
    Hmm, that's a good idea.

So, v1=(-2,0) , v2=(0,sqrt(2)) , v3=(2,0)

Edit: Still number crunching

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  5. Mar 27, 2015 #4
    Okay, I get

[tex] D_1=4+y^2, \; D_2=(\sqrt{2}-y)^2, \; D_3=4+y^2[/tex]

Thus, the objective function, their sum, is [tex]D_t=(\sqrt{2}-y)^2+8+y^2[/tex]

[tex]D_t'=6 y-2 \sqrt{2}[/tex]

Which has a root at [tex]y=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{3}[/tex]

Unfortunately, that is the reciprocal of the book's answer. Where did I mess up?

6. Mar 27, 2015 #5
    I think your coordinates for v2 are not correct. if the side length is 2sqrt(2), then v2 would be 2, right?

7. Mar 27, 2015 #6
    Also, your values of D1, D2, and D3 are the square of the distances, so you have to take the square root.

8. Mar 27, 2015 #7
    Doing that gives me the right answer-- thanks!

9. Mar 27, 2015 #8
    Any time man! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted