Deciding Between Applied and Theoretical Physics - ToreHan, Istanbul

• Thread starter torehan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Applied
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty that physics students face in deciding which sub-field to pursue after graduation. They suggest considering interests and performance in classes, reading journal articles, doing research projects, finding summer positions, attending seminars and events, and seeking advice from graduate students.
torehan
Hi all,
Most of the physics students are not sure about the way that he/she should follow after the graduation.

How should I make a decision? Which circumstances are effective on choosing the way I follow?

I'm triying to get some usefull information that i can get from experienced physicist.

Thank for your valuable information.

ToreHan
Istanbul

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no acid test that will definatively tell you which sub-field you are cut out for.

Some things that can help with making this decision:
- consider which topics in your classes you've found the most interesting
- which classes did you perform best in
- read journal articles and learn about the active areas of research in the different sub-fields
- if you do an honours research project, what aspects of that did you like or not like
- if possible try to find a summer position working for a professor
- go to departmental seminars
- join your undergraduate physics society and participate in events
- get to know some graduate students (often they are more than willing to provide advice to undergraduates)

Hello ToreHan,

First of all, congratulations on your pursuit of a physics degree! It is a challenging and rewarding field that offers many opportunities for intellectual growth and contribution to society.

When it comes to deciding between applied and theoretical physics, my advice would be to explore both areas during your undergraduate studies. Take a variety of courses in both applied and theoretical physics to get a sense of which one interests you more. You may also want to consider doing research or internships in both areas to gain hands-on experience and see which one you excel at.

In terms of circumstances that may influence your decision, it ultimately depends on your personal interests and strengths. Applied physics involves using principles of physics to solve real-world problems, while theoretical physics focuses on developing and testing theories to explain natural phenomena. Think about what motivates you and where you see yourself making a meaningful contribution in the field of physics.

Additionally, consider seeking advice from experienced physicists in both areas. They can provide valuable insights and guidance based on their own experiences and help you make an informed decision.

Ultimately, remember that your career path is not set in stone and you can always switch between applied and theoretical physics as your interests and goals evolve. What's important is that you follow your passion and continue to learn and grow in the field of physics.

Best of luck in your decision-making process and future endeavors!

1. What is the difference between applied and theoretical physics?

Applied physics is focused on using physics principles and theories to develop practical solutions and technologies, while theoretical physics is more concerned with understanding the fundamental laws of nature and developing new theories. Applied physics is more hands-on and involves experimentation and data analysis, while theoretical physics is more theoretical and involves mathematical modeling and predictions.

2. Which field of physics has more job opportunities?

Both applied and theoretical physics offer many job opportunities, but applied physics may have more options in industry and technology-related fields, while theoretical physics may have more opportunities in academia and research.

3. What skills are needed for a career in applied physics?

A career in applied physics requires strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of math and physics principles. Other important skills include critical thinking, communication, and the ability to work with complex equipment and data analysis software.

4. Is a degree in applied physics or theoretical physics more valuable?

Both degrees can be valuable, depending on your career goals. A degree in applied physics may be more valuable for those interested in working in industry and technology, while a degree in theoretical physics may be more valuable for those pursuing a career in academia and research.

5. Can I switch between applied and theoretical physics during my studies?

It is possible to switch between applied and theoretical physics during your studies, but it may require taking additional courses or completing a different program. It is important to carefully consider your career goals and interests before making a decision to switch, as the two fields have different focuses and require different skill sets.