Applied physics Degree?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Lishen23
  • Start date
Its what I'm passionate about, Physics. I'm a first year Applied Physics student and I have lots of questions and problems, firstly what is Applied physics and how does it differ from pure Physics. Initially I was hellbent on Astrophysics I still am, to me Astrophysics makes every other profession seem insignificant when you think about the scope you're studying and how vague mankind's knowledge of the Universe probably is. Then there's the beautiful LHC in Cern, another one of my dreams is to work there, what degree would I need for it? I'm assuming Quantum physics. Another thing is I definately intend on getting my Msc in whatever field in doing, can anyone tell me what is the difference in scope of jobs for a Bsc, Bsc Hons, Msc and Phd. Thanks any help is appriciated

Answers and Replies

I would say applied physics is similar to physics based engineering with the exception that the problems are more broad and less specific. For example, applied physics may be concerned with developing a new technology for high speed intersteller space travel.

For people with your goals and interests, I think engineering physics is one of the most under-rated degrees. It would open doors for graduate school, work in industry, high level research, and so on.

I believe in Undergraduate level, the curriculum of applied and pure physics are similar..
some differences will usually be that applied physics will take more material science, information physics, or computational physics courses..

I would say applied physics is similar to physics based engineering with the exception that the problems are more broad and less specific. For example, applied physics may be concerned with developing a new technology for high speed intersteller space travel.

For people with your goals and interests, I think engineering physics is one of the most under-rated degrees. It would open doors for graduate school, work in industry, high level research, and so on.

Thanks alot I think I might stick with Applied Physics after all :). But uh, what do you mean by graduate school? I'm in South Africa, either I'm not clued up on that or those don't exist here

I believe in Undergraduate level, the curriculum of applied and pure physics are similar..
some differences will usually be that applied physics will take more material science, information physics, or computational physics courses..

Would they let me mess around at the LHC in Cern with an Applied Physics Degree? Because if I miss the opportunity to do research there I'm going to regret it for the rest of my life