Applied Physics Degree: Engineering Physics & Job Market

In summary, NYU's applied physics bachelors and masters program is part of their engineering school. This program provides good preparation for an AP graduate program. However, if you only plan on getting a terminal bachelors degree, this degree isn't going to help you land a job more readily than just majoring in engineering.
brymcfly21
Is this basically engineering physics? Is this a good idea for someone who loves the concepts of physics but wants a good chance in the job market? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
brymcfly21 said:
Is this basically engineering physics? Is this a good idea for someone who loves the concepts of physics but wants a good chance in the job market? Thank you

It depends on the school (I'm assuming you're talking about a BS), if it's called applied physics instead of engineering physics it's likely it isn't ABET accredited. This can be good and bad, depending on what you want to do with the degree. You'll have more leeway in the degree, it may be offered by the physics department instead of the engineering department, and other such things. It does, however, mean you won't have that "engineering" keyword in the degree.

What school are you looking at? EP and AP degrees vary so much between institutions and content it's hard to judge without that context. The most that could be assumed is that an AP degree should be good preparation for an AP graduate program.

Student100 said:
It depends on the school (I'm assuming you're talking about a BS), if it's called applied physics instead of engineering physics it's likely it isn't ABET accredited. This can be good and bad, depending on what you want to do with the degree. You'll have more leeway in the degree, it may be offered by the physics department instead of the engineering department, and other such things. It does, however, mean you won't have that "engineering" keyword in the degree.

What school are you looking at? EP and AP degrees vary so much between institutions and content it's hard to judge without that context. The most that could be assumed is that an AP degree should be good preparation for an AP graduate program.

NYU, their applied physics bachelors and masters program is apart of their engineering school.

brymcfly21 said:
NYU, their applied physics bachelors and masters program is apart of their engineering school.

So after looking at the required courses for the major, it's more like a physics degree than an engineering degree.

You get 26 technical electives, 12 free electives, and it also includes a senior project. If you used those 26 electives for math and physics (I would add a course in ODE or PDE's in there, beyond the linear + diff equation class), and one other math, and then took 4 additional upper division classes in physics, you basically have a physics degree. You could then use those 12 for projects/engineering classes if you wanted.

To answer your original question:

If you plan on getting a terminal bachelors degree, this degree isn't going to help you land a job more readily than just majoring in engineering.

Student100 said:
So after looking at the required courses for the major, it's more like a physics degree than an engineering degree.

You get 26 technical electives, 12 free electives, and it also includes a senior project. If you used those 26 electives for math and physics (I would add a course in ODE or PDE's in there, beyond the linear + diff equation class), and one other math, and then took 4 additional upper division classes in physics, you basically have a physics degree. You could then use those 12 for projects/engineering classes if you wanted.

To answer your original question:

If you plan on getting a terminal bachelors degree, this degree isn't going to help you land a job more readily than just majoring in engineering.

I definitely will pursue higher than a bachelors degree so masters at least. So my original plan if I get in there was to the their 3-2 program with physics and some form of engineering and then do a masters in applied physics , how does that sound? I'm not really sure what jobs I can get with an applied physics masters. Thank you for replying by the way!

brymcfly21 said:
I definitely will pursue higher than a bachelors degree so masters at least. So my original plan if I get in there was to the their 3-2 program with physics and some form of engineering and then do a masters in applied physics , how does that sound? I'm not really sure what jobs I can get with an applied physics masters. Thank you for replying by the way!

Why AP rather than engineering?

Student100 said:
Why AP rather than engineering?

The engineering that they offer in the 3-2 program doesn't seem to interest me as much as just physics . They offer civil, electrical, mechanical and computer . I put on my application the computer one just because it's like one of the best jobs but I'm not big into computers . Plus I thought an applied degree would save me the extra year.

1. What is an Applied Physics degree?

An Applied Physics degree is an interdisciplinary program that combines physics principles with engineering applications. It focuses on solving real-world problems using scientific and mathematical analysis and techniques. Students in this program gain a strong understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of physics and engineering.

2. What is the difference between Engineering Physics and Applied Physics?

Engineering Physics and Applied Physics are two closely related fields. Engineering Physics typically focuses more on the application of physics principles to engineering problems, while Applied Physics has a broader focus that includes other areas such as materials science and technology. In other words, Engineering Physics is more specialized, while Applied Physics is more interdisciplinary.

3. What kind of jobs can I get with an Applied Physics degree?

Graduates with an Applied Physics degree have a wide range of career options. They can work in industries such as research and development, aerospace, defense, energy, and telecommunications. They can also pursue careers in academia, government agencies, and consulting firms.

4. Will an Applied Physics degree lead to a high-paying job?

An Applied Physics degree can lead to high-paying jobs, but it ultimately depends on the individual's skills, experience, and career path. Graduates with this degree possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are highly valued in many industries. With the right qualifications and experience, an Applied Physics degree can lead to a lucrative career.

5. Is there a high demand for graduates with an Applied Physics degree?

The demand for graduates with an Applied Physics degree is growing. With the increasing use of technology and the need for innovation in various industries, there is a high demand for professionals who have a strong understanding of both physics and engineering. Graduates with this degree have a diverse skill set that makes them highly sought after in the job market.