1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Applied Physics -> Physics?

1. Nov 28, 2009 #1
    Applied Physics --> Physics?

Hi,

Is it possible and feasible to switch from Applied Physics (say with a PhD, having worked on accelerator physics) to 'pure' Physics (say theory, or experiment, in high energy physics)?

I'm trying to weigh my options as a senior undergrad in EE wanting to make a career switch to Physics. But I presume I have a better chance in Applied Physics programs rather than Physics programs. (This, despite having taken courses on QM, Relativity and QFT, since I lack research experience in physics.) Since a few schools do not allow applying to multiple programs, I have to make up my mind.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2009 #2
    Re: Applied Physics --> Physics?

As a person with a masters in "pure" physics, I'd recommend going into applied physics. You're definitely more likely to find a job as your practical skills would make you more marketable. In order to do the applied stuff you'd have to know the theory behind it anyway, so I wouldn't think it would be difficult to switch to "pure" physics if you wanted to. (If you're really looking for something high paying, I hear medical physics is a great field to go into) I had difficulty finding a job after graduating, so now I'm getting certified to teach physics in high school.

4. Nov 28, 2009 #3

Funny, but i know a professor at ucla that said that if he could redo things again, he would be an engineer. He is now a physicist.

5. Nov 28, 2009 #4

Hi. No, I'm not looking for a high paying job or anything.

This is probably not an issue with most people at my level, but I have diverse interests in applied physics and physics, and at this point, I have a greedy strategy to want to explore as much as I want. I know indecision is bad entering grad school, but I want to have some academic freedom later and not be restricted by the name of a degree.

My long term goal is to stay in research/academia, so as long as I get a job, I'll be happy. The question didn't originate out of monetary concerns or worries anyway. Its just that as an EE, I probably have a greater shot getting into an Applied Physics program.

6. Nov 30, 2009 #5

One cannot be very generic when it comes to grad school :biggrin:

But with an engineering background, getting into an applied physics field should not be such a problem but again it depends on specific area of interest. I know a lot of people in IIT Bombay working in the Nanoelectronics programme with a Physics background and atleast one faculty in Physics department has a bachelor's degree in EE but did his PhD in Physics from a reputed institute.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook