Applied physics Vs Engineering?

In summary, the individual has a Bachelor's degree in electronics and communication engineering and is currently working as an embedded design engineer. They are interested in pursuing a Master's degree in physics, but are unsure whether to choose applied physics or pure physics. They are seeking guidance on the differences between applied physics and engineering, and the potential job opportunities in the field. Another person with experience in an EE research group suggests that some areas of EE, such as computational electromagnetics, could be considered applied physics. They advise the individual to look into the research being done at schools they are interested in to find areas that align with their interests.
badri89
Dear all,

I basically did my bachelors in electronics and communication engineering and currently working as embedded design engineer(2 yrs of experience). However I felt that I really wanted to do physics for my graduation. But I am confused between applied physics and pure physics. How does applied physics differ from engineering?If I go for masters in applied physics, what sort of jobs I may land into? Kindly guide me. Sorry if it sounded too novice. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just my experience from being a summer student in an EE research group, but it seems like if you get into the right areas of EE (e.g. some areas related to electromagnetics) you're pretty much doing applied physics, you just call yourself an engineer and insist that H, not B should be called the "magnetic field." :P

explain more?

Thanks for the reply.. But could you explain what do you mean by areas in electromagnetics?

One example would be computational electromagnetics (stuff like how do you mathematically model physical systems and then solve Maxwell's equations efficiently in that context). That's just an example. I'm still an undergrad, so I can't really give much more than that unfortunately. My point is just that you should take a look at the EE research being done at schools you want to apply to, and you'll probably find some areas that could easily be labelled as "applied physics."

As a scientist with a background in both applied physics and engineering, I can provide some insight into the differences between these two fields. While both applied physics and engineering involve the application of scientific principles to solve real-world problems, there are some key distinctions between the two.

Applied physics is a branch of physics that focuses on using fundamental principles to develop new technologies and solve practical problems. It involves a deep understanding of physics concepts and theories, as well as the ability to apply them in a practical and innovative way. Applied physics can be applied to a wide range of industries, such as materials science, electronics, and energy.

On the other hand, engineering is a field that applies scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. It is a more practical and hands-on approach to problem solving, and often involves working with limitations and constraints to create functional and cost-effective solutions. Engineering can be further divided into various disciplines, such as mechanical, electrical, and civil engineering.

If you are interested in pursuing a career in applied physics, you may find opportunities in research and development, product design and development, and technology consulting. Some common job titles in this field include research scientist, product development engineer, and technology consultant.

Ultimately, the decision between pursuing a degree in applied physics or engineering will depend on your interests and career goals. If you are more interested in the theoretical and fundamental aspects of physics, then a degree in pure physics may be a better fit for you. However, if you enjoy applying physics principles to solve practical problems and want to work in a more hands-on and applied environment, then engineering may be a better choice.

I hope this helps guide you in your decision. Best of luck in your academic and professional pursuits.

1. What is the difference between applied physics and engineering?

Applied physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the practical applications of physical theories and principles. Engineering, on the other hand, is the application of mathematical and scientific principles to design and create practical solutions to real-world problems.

2. Can someone with a degree in applied physics work as an engineer?

Yes, someone with a degree in applied physics can work as an engineer. While the two fields have distinct focuses, there is a significant overlap in the skills and knowledge required for both. Applied physics graduates can use their understanding of physical principles to work in various engineering roles.

3. Which field offers better job opportunities, applied physics or engineering?

This can vary depending on the current job market and the specific skills and experience of the individual. Both applied physics and engineering offer a wide range of job opportunities in various industries. It is important to research and consider the specific job market and your own interests and strengths when deciding between the two fields.

4. Is applied physics a more theoretical field compared to engineering?

While applied physics does involve theoretical concepts, it also involves the practical application of these theories to real-world problems. Engineering, on the other hand, is more focused on the practical application of mathematical and scientific principles. Both fields require a balance of theoretical and practical knowledge.

5. Can someone with a degree in engineering pursue a career in applied physics?

Yes, someone with a degree in engineering can pursue a career in applied physics. Many engineering programs include courses in applied physics, and engineers often use principles from applied physics in their work. However, additional education or training may be necessary to specialize in applied physics.