Applied Science vs Engineering

In summary, a recent graduate with a bachelor's degree in physics is considering pursuing a master's in either engineering or an applied science program. While the applied science program offers easier short-term options, the long-term career path and job availability may be more limited compared to engineering. Additionally, the networking and industry contacts provided by the program may be beneficial, but there is a risk of being pigeonholed if a job is not obtained through the program. Ultimately, the decision should be based on personal preferences and career goals.
nickexists
I recently graduated with a bachelor's degree in physics and, like many other people, am finding that without going to gradschool I'm not going to find a good job. I'm not really interested in the long academic path of a PhD, I would much rather get a master's and go into industry. At first I was thinking that I would go into a mechanical or aerospace engineering program but then I came upon this applied science program (http://internship.uoregon.edu/). In the short term the applied science would be easier for me because I wouldn't need to switch tracks to engineering. What I'm really wondering is what the differences are in the long term career path between these two tracks. Obviously someone who specialized in semiconductors or optics would be dealing with entirely different subject matter than a mechanical engineer. What want to know is what the differences are in terms of job availability, work environment, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It will depend heavily on the program and how it is run.
Unlike engineering there is no "regular career path" for an "applied scientist".
OTOH: that means you could end up doing just about anything.

Looks like an internship program - so you'd probably end up in something like what you interned as, provided you shone enough that (a) they keep you on or (b) they give you a good reference.

Save yourself some headache and money and just get a masters in engineering. Go look up jobs and see how many are looking for applied science majors, I guarantee you will found thousands of jobs looking for mechanical engineers. Not only that mechanical engineering is pretty flexible, meaning you can go into different fields like nuclear engineering, aerospace engineering, plant manager, or just about any other stem field. Seriously it makes no sense to get a degree in something you don't know the career prospects of it, because you don't want to try to change tracks. Your current track isn't making you any money and a masters in physics or applied science will not help you at all.

If you go the engineering route, make sure you understand whether you'll need a PE designation and see if you'll actually be able to get one.

nickexists said:
What I'm really wondering is what the differences are in the long term career path between these two tracks.

In the long term, maybe it doesn't matter. On a 10 or 20 year timescale, it's likely your career history will contain as much "random noise" as "strategic planning".

But it does matter in the short term. If you want to buy a can of beans, you go to a store that sells canned food, and look for cans of beans. Sure, you could buy the same ingredients other ways, and end up with the same food on your plate (and it might even taste better than the canned version), but that's not what most people do. The same applies to companies hiring people - if you want to hire somebody to do engineering type work, the easy option is to look for people labeled "engineer".

If the internships on that program lead directly to your first job, then it doesn't matter what label the college gave you - but you might want to think about "plan B" if that doesn't work out.

From what I've heard this program is very good about getting its students jobs with companies like intel, ibm, nlight, etc. So am i right in thinking that assuming I get a job from the program then I will end up having just as many option as I probably would if I went with engineering?

The advantage of such programs is the industry contact and networking available.
The flip side is: if you do not get a job through the program, your options are more restricted than if you went via engineering.

If you are employed - your options will depend on the position. I don't know about this specific program and they tend to vary quite a lot. In general, you tend to be trading more immediate uptake for early pigeonholing.

All other things remaining equal I would bet on the engineering grad having better career prospects in the long term - but that's just so personal it's a fools gamble to start with.

Simon Bridge said:
The advantage of such programs is the industry contact and networking available.
The flip side is: if you do not get a job through the program, your options are more restricted than if you went via engineering.

If you are employed - your options will depend on the position. I don't know about this specific program and they tend to vary quite a lot. In general, you tend to be trading more immediate uptake for early pigeonholing.

All other things remaining equal I would bet on the engineering grad having better career prospects in the long term - but that's just so personal it's a fools gamble to start with.
Great summary

1. What is the difference between applied science and engineering?

Applied science is the use of scientific principles and theories to develop practical solutions to real-world problems. Engineering, on the other hand, is the application of scientific and mathematical knowledge to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes.

2. How are applied science and engineering related?

Applied science and engineering are closely related fields, with engineering being a direct application of applied science. Engineers use the theories and principles of applied science to design and create practical solutions to real-world problems.

3. What skills are needed for a career in applied science or engineering?

A career in applied science or engineering requires a strong foundation in math, physics, and other scientific subjects. In addition, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are essential for both fields. Engineers also need to have technical skills and knowledge of various tools and technologies.

4. What are some examples of applied science and engineering in everyday life?

Applied science and engineering are present in many aspects of our daily lives. For example, the development of new medicines and medical devices is an application of applied science, while the design and construction of buildings, bridges, and roads are examples of engineering. Smartphones, computers, and other electronics are also products of engineering.

5. Can someone have a career in both applied science and engineering?

Yes, it is possible to have a career that combines both applied science and engineering. In fact, many engineering fields, such as biomedical engineering and environmental engineering, rely heavily on applied science principles. Some scientists also work closely with engineers to develop new technologies and products.