Apply the quadratic formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct method for finding the roots of the equation -x2 - bx +c = 0 and the confusion surrounding why the roots appear to be different when graphed. It is suggested that the difference may be due to a sign error when entering the equation into a graphing utility.
Firepanda
Applying it to

-x2 - bx +c = 0

I would have thought it to be

(b +- (b2+4c)0.5) /-2

= (-b +- (b2+4c)0.5) /2

But

Anytime I try and graph a function like it the roots are

(b +- (b2+4c)0.5) /2

I can't see why this is?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Firepanda said:
Applying it to

-x2 - bx +c = 0

I would have thought it to be

(b +- (b2+4c)0.5) /-2

= (-b +- (b2+4c)0.5) /2
Yes, the roots of the equation above are x = (-b +- (b2+4c)0.5) /2.
Firepanda said:
But

Anytime I try and graph a function like it the roots are

(b +- (b2+4c)0.5) /2

I can't see why this is?

Thanks
I can't either, but I suspect you're doing some unconscious sign-changing of the coefficients when you enter the function into whatever graphing utility you're using.

Regarding your first equation, why don't you multiply both sides by -1 to get x^2 + bx - c = 0? The solutions would be the same.

for your question. The quadratic formula is a useful tool for solving quadratic equations, which are equations in the form of ax2 + bx + c = 0. The formula is given by:

x = (-b ± √(b2-4ac)) / 2a

Where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation. This formula can be used to find the roots, or solutions, of the quadratic equation.

In the case of the equation -x2 - bx + c = 0, we can rewrite it as x2 + bx - c = 0 by multiplying both sides by -1. Now we can see that a = 1, b = b, and c = -c. Plugging these values into the quadratic formula, we get:

x = (-b ± √(b2-4(1)(-c))) / 2(1)

= (-b ± √(b2+4c)) / 2

This is the same as the formula you provided, except for a minor error in the denominator. The correct formula should be (-b ± √(b2+4c)) / 2. So, the roots of the equation -x2 - bx + c = 0 are given by:

x = (-b ± √(b2+4c)) / 2

I'm not sure about the issue you are having with graphing this function. If you are using a graphing calculator, make sure you are entering the formula correctly and using the correct values for a, b, and c. If you are graphing by hand, make sure you are following the correct steps for graphing a quadratic function. I hope this helps clarify things for you.

1. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a mathematical equation used to solve quadratic equations, which are equations in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. It is written as x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac))/2a.

2. How do you apply the quadratic formula?

To apply the quadratic formula, first identify the values of a, b, and c in the equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0. Then, plug these values into the formula x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac))/2a and solve for the two possible values of x.

3. When should I use the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula should be used when trying to solve a quadratic equation that cannot be easily factored. It is also useful when trying to find the roots, or solutions, of a quadratic equation.

4. What is the discriminant and how is it used in the quadratic formula?

The discriminant is the part of the quadratic formula inside the square root, b^2 - 4ac. It is used to determine the nature of the solutions of the quadratic equation. If the discriminant is positive, the equation will have two real solutions. If it is zero, there will be one real solution. And if it is negative, there will be no real solutions.

5. Can the quadratic formula be used for any type of equation?

No, the quadratic formula can only be used to solve quadratic equations. It cannot be used for linear, cubic, or other types of equations. It is specifically designed for equations in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0.