Apply to grad school for AMO exp or theory?

In summary, the individual is unsure of how to proceed with their grad school applications. They have four years of research experience and four publications in numerical work, but are unsure if this is seen as valuable in comparison to pure theory or experimental work. They have good recommendations and a 4.0 GPA, but are concerned about their GRE scores and the competitiveness of theory programs. They are torn between applying for theory or experiment and are seeking opinions and advice on their situation.
Dishsoap
Greetings all,

I'll be applying to grad school in the fall, and I am uncertain on how to proceed. By the time I graduate, I will have done research with an AMO theory group for four years and will have four publications. However, all of these publications are on numerical work/methods, not pure theory (which as I understand, is common for an undergrad). I also will have had two internships, one at a national lab doing dark matter stuff (mostly experimental) and another at a university doing computational biophysics (CU-Boulder). I believe that I will have good recommendations from all three. I also have a 4.0, am a Goldwater scholar, blah blah blah... but I go to a very small school with an unknown physics department, and because a lot of classes aren't offered, my GRE scores will be rather low I predict (though I've been studying for a few months now, so we'll see).

Anyway, my question is this. I would really like to study AMO in graduate school, however I'm torn on whether or not to apply for theory or experiment.

On one hand, I believe theory would be better. I am fairly certain that I don't want to do experimental work, and since I have very little experimental experience, by applying to grad school in experimental stuff they would probably guess that I'll switch right away. I don't want to be joining a research group and then leaving right away; that's extremely disrespectful.

On the other hand, getting into graduate school in theory is nearly impossible, and I simply can't afford to not go to graduate school, since I would have to pay back my Goldwater scholarship.

My current plan is to wait it out and see how I do on the pGRE.

What do you recommend? I'm not sure how grad school admissions view someone who has lots of research experience in numerical stuff as opposed to theory or experiment. Thoughts? Opinions? Sarcastic remarks?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would just apply indicating you are interested in both. That is actually very common. There is some flexibility when it comes to switching at most places.

1. What is the difference between AMO experimental and theoretical research in grad school?

AMO (Atomic, Molecular, and Optical) research in grad school can be divided into two main categories: experimental and theoretical. Experimental research involves hands-on work in a lab setting, using equipment and techniques to study atoms, molecules, and light. Theoretical research, on the other hand, involves using mathematical and computational models to study the same systems. Both approaches have their own unique advantages and contribute to our understanding of AMO systems in different ways.

2. What are the prerequisites for applying to grad school for AMO research?

The specific prerequisites for grad school in AMO research may vary depending on the program and university. However, most programs will require a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and/or engineering. Some programs may also require specific coursework or lab experience in AMO-related topics. It is important to thoroughly research the requirements of the programs you are interested in before applying.

3. How important are research experience and publications for applying to grad school for AMO research?

Research experience and publications can greatly strengthen your application for grad school in AMO research. Many programs will require or prefer applicants to have previous research experience, whether it be through internships, undergraduate research projects, or publications. These experiences demonstrate your ability to conduct independent research and contribute to the scientific community.

4. What are some tips for writing a strong personal statement for grad school in AMO research?

A strong personal statement for grad school in AMO research should showcase your passion for the field and highlight your relevant experiences and skills. Be sure to explain why you are interested in AMO research and how your previous experiences have prepared you for graduate studies in this field. It is also important to tailor your statement to each program you are applying to and to have it proofread by others for clarity and grammar.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a graduate degree in AMO research?

Graduate studies in AMO research can open up a variety of career opportunities in both academia and industry. Many graduates go on to become professors, researchers, or postdoctoral fellows at universities, national labs, or government agencies. Others may pursue careers in the private sector, working for companies in fields such as optics, materials science, or quantum technologies. With the growing importance of AMO research in various industries, there is a high demand for individuals with specialized knowledge in this field.