Applying Bernoulli's equation to magnetohydrodynamic flow

In summary, to solve for the pressure at point (1,2,1), you need to use the modified Bernoulli's equation and take into account the Lorentz force. This will involve finding the Lorentz force and substituting it into the equation. Keep in mind that the Lorentz force is already included in the modified Bernoulli's equation, so you do not need to add it separately.
Hendrick
1. Homework Statement
A static electrically conducting fluid, in the presence of electric and magnetic fields, experiences a Lorentz force. Determine the fluid pressure at point (1,2,1) when the pressure LaTeX Code: p_{0} at origin (0,0,0) is under the effect of gravity and the electric and magnetic field are given by:

i) [tex]E = 2\hat{i}, B = 4\hat{k}[/tex]
ii) [tex]E = \hat{i}+3\hat{j}-\hat{k}, B = 2\hat{i}+\hat{j}+4\hat{k}[/tex]2. Homework Equations
Lorentz force:
[tex]F_{L} = E \times B[/tex]

Bernoulli's equation:
[tex]\frac{p}{\rho} + \frac{u \cdot u}{2} + gz = constant[/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution
i)
Modify Bernoulli's equation to account for Lorentz's force:
[tex]\frac{p}{\rho} + \frac{u \cdot u}{2} + gz + F_{L} = constant[/tex]
Divide by g to find the heads
[tex]\frac{p}{\rho g} + \frac{u \cdot u}{2 g} + z + \frac{F_{L}}{g} = constant[/tex]

Apply modified Bernoulli's equation to the two points.
[tex]\frac{p_{0}}{\rho g} + \frac{u \cdot u}{2 g} + z_{0} + \frac{F_{L}}{g} = \frac{p_{x}}{\rho g} + \frac{u \cdot u}{2 g} + z_{x} + \frac{F_{L}}{g}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{p_{0}}{\rho g} + z_{0} = \frac{p_{x}}{\rho g} + z_{x}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{p_{x}}{\rho g} = \frac{p_{0}}{\rho g} + z_{0} - z_{x}[/tex]
[tex]p_{x} = p_{0} + (z_{0} - z_{x})\rho g[/tex]
[tex]p_{x} = p_{0} - \rho g as (z_{0} - z_{x}) = 0 - 1[/tex]

I'm pretty much stuck from here, I don't think I modified Bernoulli's equation properly because I don't end up using the Lorentz force in my calculation of the pressure at point (1,2,1).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there,

It seems like you are on the right track, but there are a few things that need to be clarified.

Firstly, in your attempt at a solution, you have used the modified Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the Lorentz force. However, you have not included the Lorentz force in your calculation of the pressure at point (1,2,1). This is because the Lorentz force is already included in the equation, and you do not need to add it separately. The Lorentz force is included in the term $\frac{F_L}{g}$, which is already present in the equation.

Secondly, in your calculation of the pressure at point (1,2,1), you have used the equation $p_x = p_0 + (z_0 - z_x)\rho g$. This equation is incorrect, as it does not take into account the Lorentz force. The correct equation to use would be $\frac{p_x}{\rho g} = \frac{p_0}{\rho g} + z_0 - z_x + \frac{F_L}{g}$. This takes into account the Lorentz force and gives the correct pressure at point (1,2,1).

Finally, to solve this problem, you will need to use the given values for the electric and magnetic fields and solve for the Lorentz force. Once you have the Lorentz force, you can substitute it into the modified Bernoulli's equation and solve for the pressure at point (1,2,1).

Hope this helps!

What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a principle in fluid dynamics that states that in an ideal fluid, the sum of the kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy at any point in the fluid is constant.

What is magnetohydrodynamic flow?

Magnetohydrodynamic flow, also known as MHD flow, is the study of the behavior of electrically conducting fluids in the presence of a magnetic field. This type of flow is commonly found in plasma, liquid metals, and ionized gases.

How does Bernoulli's equation apply to magnetohydrodynamic flow?

In the case of MHD flow, the Bernoulli's equation is modified to include the effects of the magnetic field. This is known as the Magnetohydrodynamic Bernoulli's equation and it takes into account the Lorentz force, which is the force exerted by the magnetic field on the fluid.

What are some practical applications of applying Bernoulli's equation to magnetohydrodynamic flow?

Magnetohydrodynamic flow has many practical applications, including the propulsion of spacecraft using ion thrusters, the generation of electricity in power plants using liquid metal MHD generators, and the development of new technologies for controlling and manipulating plasma in fusion reactors.

Are there any limitations to using Bernoulli's equation in magnetohydrodynamic flow?

While Bernoulli's equation is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of fluids in the presence of a magnetic field, it is based on several assumptions that may not hold true in all situations. For example, it assumes that the fluid is incompressible and inviscid, which may not be the case in some real-world scenarios.