1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying Divergence Theorem

1. May 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

attachment.php?attachmentid=47293&stc=1&d=1337106295.png

2. Relevant equations

So I have that [itex] v \otimes n = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    v_{1}n_{1} & v_{1}n_{2} & v_{1}n_{3} \\
    v_{2}n_{1} & v_{2}n_{2} & v_{2}n_{3} \\
    v_{3}n_{1} & v_{3}n_{2} & v_{3}n_{3} \end{array} \right)
    [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried applying the Divergence theorem for Tensors:
    [itex]
    \int_{\partial B} ( v \otimes n )n dA = \int_{B} \nabla \cdot ( v \otimes n ) dV
    [/itex]

But that doesn't lead anywhere particularly useful. I thought it might be worth noting that [itex]\nabla \cdot ( v \otimes n ) = \frac{dv_{1}}{dx_{1}}n_{1}+\frac{dv_{2}}{dx_{2}}n_{2} + \frac{dv_{3}}{dx_{3}}n_{3}[/itex] but I can't seem to get anywhere near [itex]\nabla v[/itex]

And this problem isn't homework, it's just an optional exercise, but it's frustrated me for a while and I figured I should get some pointers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2012 #2
    No it's not! I think you will find (assuming n is constant) that [itex] \nabla \cdot ( v \otimes n ) = n \cdot (\nabla v) + n (\nabla \cdot v) [/itex]

Especially note that it is a vector and not a scalar

4. May 15, 2012 #3
    Isn't [itex]\nabla \cdot v \otimes n = (n_{1}(\frac{dv_{1}}{dx_{1}}+\frac{dv_{2}}{dx_{2}}+\frac{dv_{3}}{dx_{3}}), n_{2}(\frac{dv_{1}}{dx_{1}}+\frac{dv_{2}}{dx_{2}}+\frac{dv_{3}}{dx_{3}}), n_{3}(\frac{dv_{1}}{dx_{1}}+\frac{dv_{2}}{dx_{2}}+\frac{dv_{3}}{dx_{3}}))[/itex]

Which is [itex]n \cdot \nabla v[/itex]?

This would make sense since it gives that

[itex]\int_{\partial B} ( v \otimes n )n dA = \int_{B} (\nabla v) ndV[/itex]

And then since n is just so constant vector, the result follows.

Is that right? Or am I missing something?

5. May 16, 2012 #4
    Of course not; you can't just get rid of the terms that give you trouble... This is what you need to show, but the formula I gave above is still correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook