Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying for a public college

  1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    Hi guys , Is applying to a public college for an undergraduate physics program a good idea if I want to specialize in theoretical physics in the future and do research ? How much does it cost on average ? I don't have the money for other universities and I didn't graduate from a US high school which means no SAT scores etc also my first language is not English and I didn't take TOEFL yet .So other options are limited.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    For someone who was a resident of, say, California, and wanted to do theoretical physics research, I would certainly suggest going to a UC. UC Berkeley and UCLA are two of the best universities in the world, and for a resident they are much, much cheaper than a private school.

    Are you currently living in a foreign country?

    If so, then you're going to be paying nonresident tuition, which is much higher. You can find out how much it is by looking on the specific schools' web sites.

    If money is very tight, you could consider going to a community college for two years, then transferring to a university.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook