Applying for chemical engineering

In summary, the speaker is considering applying to the University of Manchester and Imperial College for Chemical Engineering, but is concerned about not having taken physics in their AS or A-levels. They currently take Maths, Chem, and DT as their A-level choices and are willing to work hard to catch up in physics and maths. The speaker is hoping for advice from someone with knowledge about chemical engineering, and mentions their current grades which include an A in maths, B in chem, C in DT, and D in biology (which they plan to drop). They are likely predicted an ABB/AAB, which meets the requirements for both universities.
Bladibla
I am currently thinking of applying to the university of manchester and imperial college in my Ucas form.

However, i didn't take physics in my AS or A-levels. Although they offer ABB/AAB for Chemical engineering without mention of physics, i am concerned.

I currently take Maths, Chem, and DT as my A-level choices. And i AM willing to work hard to catch up to other students at university (if i go) in terms of mathematics and physics.

It would be deeply appreciated if anyone who takes chemical engineering gives some advice on this dilemma.

cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention what grades i currently got. I got a A in maths, B in chem, C in DT and D in Biology. The D in biology in doesn't bother me too much as I am dropping it.

Most likely I'm predicted a ABB/AAB, which makes it 'fine' to make a valid appliance to both these universities.

However, it would be appreciated to hear from knowing people.

As a scientist and a chemical engineer myself, I understand your concerns about not having taken physics in your AS or A-levels. While it is true that many universities require physics as a prerequisite for chemical engineering, it is not always a strict requirement. Each university has its own specific requirements and it is important to carefully review them before applying.

In your case, the fact that the universities you are interested in do not explicitly mention physics as a requirement for chemical engineering is a good sign. This means that they may have alternative ways of assessing your skills and knowledge in this area, such as through your mathematics and chemistry courses.

However, it is important to note that physics plays a crucial role in chemical engineering and having a strong understanding of it will be beneficial for your studies. If you are accepted into a chemical engineering program without having taken physics, I would highly recommend taking some additional physics courses or self-studying to catch up before starting your program. This will not only help you better understand the principles of chemical engineering, but also prepare you for the more advanced courses you will encounter.

Additionally, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics as it is a fundamental aspect of chemical engineering. It is great that you are willing to work hard and catch up on your mathematics and physics skills. This determination and dedication will be valuable in your studies and future career as a chemical engineer.

In conclusion, while not having taken physics may seem like a disadvantage, it is not necessarily a barrier to pursuing a degree in chemical engineering. Make sure to carefully review the requirements of the universities you are interested in and be prepared to work hard to catch up on any areas that you may be lacking in. With determination and hard work, I am confident that you can succeed in your studies and become a successful chemical engineer. Best of luck to you!

What is chemical engineering?

Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that applies principles of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to design, develop, and operate processes that transform raw materials into useful products.

What are the educational requirements for becoming a chemical engineer?

To become a chemical engineer, you will need at least a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering or a related field such as chemistry, physics, or mathematics. Many employers also prefer candidates with a master's degree or Ph.D. in chemical engineering.

What skills are important for a career in chemical engineering?

Some important skills for chemical engineering include strong problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, analytical thinking, and knowledge of chemistry and physics principles. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working in a collaborative environment.

What job opportunities are available for chemical engineers?

Chemical engineers work in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, energy, and environmental engineering. Some common job titles for chemical engineers include process engineer, research and development engineer, and production engineer.

How do I apply for chemical engineering jobs?

To apply for chemical engineering jobs, you can search for openings on job websites, company websites, or through networking connections. Be sure to tailor your resume and cover letter to each specific job and showcase your relevant skills and experience. It's also a good idea to attend job fairs and industry events to network with potential employers.