1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying Force On An Angle

1. Feb 4, 2007 #1

danago

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A lawnmower weighing 20kg has a handle attached at 35 degrees to the horizontal. If a man wishes to push the lawnmower, so that after 2.5s, its velcoity is 2 m/s, what force should he apply along the handle.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    \sum {\overrightarrow F } = m\overrightarrow a
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    ok, since after 2.5 seconds, it requires a velocity of 2 m/s, i found the acceleration of the mower to be 0.8 m/s/s. Since it has a mass of 20kg, the net force applied must then be:

[tex]
    \sum {\overrightarrow F } = 20 \times 0.8 = 16N
    [/tex]

So the horizontal component of the force he applies must be 16N in the direction of acceleration.

The horizontal component of the force (F) he applies down the handle will be [tex]F cos 35[/tex]. So solving for F:

[tex]Fcos35=16[/tex]

Gives F=19.5N.

According to the answer book, the answer is 120N. Where have i gone wrong?

Thanks,
    Dan.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2007 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the question is quoted correctly, then I would agree with your answer. Does the text not mention any other factors, such as friction?

4. Feb 4, 2007 #3

danago

Gold Member

Nope, no friction at all. What ive said is pretty much quoted word for word from the book.

Thanks for the reply.

5. Feb 4, 2007 #4
    yeah the book is def. wrong

6. Feb 5, 2007 #5

danago

Gold Member

ok thats good to hear :) Thanks for the help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?