Solving Non-Linear Diffusion Eqn w/ Eigenfunction Expansion

In summary, to solve a non-linear time-dependent diffusion equation for R(x,t), you can use the equation R(x,t) = \sum^{J}_{1} X_i(x)T_i(t) and assume that T_i(0) = 1/3, given that R(x,0) = 1 and the T_i(t) need to sum to 1.
ryan.j
Gold Member
I'm trying to solve a non-linear time-dependent diffusion equation to find R(x,t). To do so, I'm positing that :

R(x,t)=[itex]\sum^{J}_{1}[/itex]X[itex]_{i}[/itex](x)T[itex]_{i}[/itex](t)

which allows me to arrive at something that looks like :

dT[itex]_{i}[/itex]/dt=A[itex]_{i}[/itex]T[itex]_{i}[/itex](t)-B*T[itex]_{i}[/itex](t)[itex]^{2}[/itex]

The problem I'm having, through sheer lack of knowledge, is ascribing initial conditions to T[itex]_{i}[/itex](t).

I know that R(x,0) = 1. Taking the case where J = 3, for example, can I simply say that T[itex]_{i}[/itex](0) = 1/3? If not, is there a way to determine the initial conditions for each T[itex]_{i}[/itex](t), given that I know that they need to sum to 1?

Thank you kindly for any help.
-ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, in this case it is reasonable to assume that T_i(0) = 1/3. This is because you have assumed that R(x,t) = \sum^{J}_{1} X_i(x)T_i(t). Since you know that R(x,0) = 1, then it follows that \sum^{J}_{1} X_i(x)T_i(0) = 1. Therefore, if you assume that all of the T_i(0) are equal, then you can conclude that T_i(0) = 1/3.

1. What is a non-linear diffusion equation?

A non-linear diffusion equation is a type of partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a quantity that diffuses through a medium. Unlike linear diffusion equations, which have a constant diffusion coefficient, non-linear diffusion equations have a diffusion coefficient that varies with the concentration of the diffusing quantity.

2. What is an eigenfunction expansion?

An eigenfunction expansion is a method used to solve differential equations by expressing the solution as a linear combination of eigenfunctions. These eigenfunctions are the solutions to the homogeneous version of the differential equation and are chosen to satisfy certain boundary conditions. By using an eigenfunction expansion, we can find a general solution to the non-linear diffusion equation.

3. How do you solve a non-linear diffusion equation using eigenfunction expansion?

To solve a non-linear diffusion equation using eigenfunction expansion, we first need to find the eigenfunctions of the homogeneous equation. These eigenfunctions will depend on the specific form of the diffusion equation. Then, we use the eigenfunctions to construct a general solution by taking a linear combination of the eigenfunctions and their corresponding coefficients. Finally, we use boundary conditions to determine the coefficients and obtain a specific solution.

4. What are the advantages of using eigenfunction expansion to solve non-linear diffusion equations?

One advantage of using eigenfunction expansion is that it allows us to find a general solution to the non-linear diffusion equation, which can then be used to find specific solutions for different boundary conditions. It also provides a more efficient way to solve the equation, as it reduces the problem to finding the eigenfunctions and coefficients instead of solving the entire equation from scratch.

5. Are there any limitations to using eigenfunction expansion for non-linear diffusion equations?

One limitation of using eigenfunction expansion is that it may not always be possible to find a complete set of eigenfunctions for a given non-linear diffusion equation. In these cases, other methods may need to be used. Additionally, eigenfunction expansion may not be suitable for all types of diffusion equations, such as those with discontinuous coefficients or non-local boundary conditions.