1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying physics to calculus

1. Nov 6, 2005 #1
    Forgive me if this is deemed a "homework question", b/c it kinda is, but I'm thinking about it a little differently...

It's a 3 dimensional calc. III problem, that I've broken down to this: Essentially there's an "enemy ship" traveling in a straight line at a constant velocity. I'm stationed at the origin and I want to fire at the ship (I know the speed the missle will fire at). So how do I determine at what angle to fire the missle so that it hits the moving target? I know it really boils down to a simple physics equation that I should remember from a million years ago..but, I don't... HELP! :bugeye:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

it is a time problem, find equations in terms of time which describe the path taken by the projectile and one which describes the ships path. Find the point they arrive at at the same time.

4. Nov 6, 2005 #3
    Exactly...how do I find these time equations? Would they be parametric? Would they be based off of some simple physics equations that I'm just missing?:yuck:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?