How do I Apply the Product Rule in Calculus?

In summary, the conversation is about a 14-year-old learning calculus and proving the product rule. The poster shares their process for solving a specific example using the product rule and asks for feedback. Another user responds with a suggestion to factor out an additional term, but overall agrees with the approach.
Jake Minneman
Hi I am 14 and attempting to learn calculus I have just proved product rule and am beginning examples of how it might work. Could anyone check, I will write my process.
[tex]y(x)=(12x^6)(7x^4+6)=[/tex]
[tex](12x^6)'(7x^4+6)+(12x^6)(7x^4+6)'=[/tex]
[tex](72x^5)(7x^4+6)+(12x^6)(28x^3)=[/tex]
[tex]504x^9+432x^5+336x^9=[/tex]
[tex]y(x)=840x^9+432x^5[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Jake Minneman said:
Hi I am 14 and attempting to learn calculus I have just proved product rule and am beginning examples of how it might work. Could anyone check, I will write my process.

Let's see, the product rule says that
[tex](f*g)' = f'*g + f*g'[/tex]

This looks good.

Then you differentiate, looks good.

Now you simplify.

Looks good so far, the only thing that I would do, is factor out a 24x^5 at the end there, but you are correct either way.

Thanks for the response

You'll probably notice that your post was moved from the Precalc section to this one. This is the right place for Calculus homework problems.

Okay that's fine, LaTex is awesome.

1. What is the Product Rule?

The Product Rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a product of two functions. It states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function.

2. When should the Product Rule be used?

The Product Rule should be used when finding the derivative of a product of two functions. It is particularly useful when the two functions cannot be easily simplified or separated into individual terms.

3. How is the Product Rule written mathematically?

The Product Rule can be written as: (f(x) * g(x))' = f'(x) * g(x) + f(x) * g'(x), where f(x) and g(x) are the two functions being multiplied and f'(x) and g'(x) are their respective derivatives.

4. Can the Product Rule be applied to more than two functions?

Yes, the Product Rule can be extended to apply to any number of functions being multiplied together. For example, the derivative of (f(x) * g(x) * h(x)) would be f'(x) * g(x) * h(x) + f(x) * g'(x) * h(x) + f(x) * g(x) * h'(x).

5. Are there any common mistakes when applying the Product Rule?

One common mistake when applying the Product Rule is forgetting to include the derivative of one of the functions. It is important to remember to include the derivative of both functions in the final answer. Additionally, it is important to use the correct notation and not confuse the prime symbol (') with the multiplication symbol (*).