Finding Coefficient of x^8y^5 using Binomial Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses using the binomial theorem to find the coefficient of ##x^8y^5## in ##(x+y)^{13}##. The solution involves using the formula ##\binom{n}{k} = \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}## and determining the value of ##\binom{13}{5}##, which is found to be 1287. There was initially confusion about the use of "n" in the formula, but it was clarified that it is a non-negative integer representing the exponent of ##(x+y)##.
reenmachine
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Use the binomial theorem to find the coefficient of ##x^8y^5## in ##(x+y)^{13}##.

Homework Equations

We know 13 - 5 = 8 , so we have ##\binom{n}{5}x^{n-5}y^5 = \binom{13}{5}x^8y^5##

##\binom{13}{5} = \frac{13 \cdot 12 \cdot 11 \cdot 10 \cdot 9 \cdot 8!}{5!8!} = \frac{13 \cdot 12 \cdot 11 \cdot 10 \cdot 9}{120} = \frac{154440}{120} = 1287##

So ##1287x^8y^5##

This is the first time I work with the binomial theorem so I'm not sure , any thoughts on my result?

thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why you introduced "n" there.
The solution is right.

mfb said:
I don't see why you introduced "n" there.
The solution is right.

sorry this was a brain cramp on my part.The book I'm reading introduced the binomial theorem as followed: If ##n## is a non-negative integer , then ##(x+y)^n = \binom{n}{0}x^n + \binom{n}{1}x^{n-1}y + \binom{n}{2}x^{n-2}y^2 + \binom{n}{3}y^3 + \cdots + \binom{n}{n-1}xy^{n-1}+\binom{n}{n}y^n##.For some reasons I forgot to connect ##n## to ##(x+y)^n## and ##\mathbb{N}##.

thank you!

1. What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical formula that allows us to expand expressions of the form (a + b)^n, where a and b are numbers and n is a positive integer.

2. How do you apply the binomial theorem?

To apply the binomial theorem, we first identify the values of a, b, and n in the expression. Then, we use the formula (a + b)^n = Σ(nCk)a^(n-k)b^k, where nCk represents the binomial coefficient, to expand the expression into a series of terms.

3. What is the purpose of using the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is useful for simplifying and solving complex mathematical expressions involving exponents. It also allows us to find the coefficients of specific terms in the expanded expression.

4. Can the binomial theorem be applied to expressions with more than two terms?

No, the binomial theorem can only be applied to expressions with two terms, such as (a + b)^n. If there are more than two terms, we would need to use other methods, such as the multinomial theorem, to expand the expression.

5. How can the binomial theorem be used in real-life situations?

The binomial theorem has many applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can be used to model and solve problems involving probability, growth, and optimization. For example, it can be used to calculate the likelihood of a specific outcome in a series of events or to predict the growth of a population over time.