1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying the Euler-Lagrange equations, a special case

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    In the proof to Theorem 7.3 from this paper on FNTFs, the authors invoke the so-called "Langrange equations." I assume they mean the Euler-Lagrange equations. (But maybe not...?) Unfortunately I'm not at all familiar with the Euler-Lagrange equations, and in reading what they are, I have no idea how to apply them in this case.

If anyone has some spare time and good will, can he/she please explain how to understand this?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]K=\mathbb{C}[/tex] be the complex numbers and [tex]S(K^d)[/tex] the unit sphere in [tex]K^d[/tex] for some positive integer d. Let [tex]\{x_n\}_{n=1}^N\subseteq S(K^d)[/tex] be a fixed sequence in that unit sphere. Let [tex]S=\{(a,b)\in\mathbb{R}^d\times\mathbb{R}^d:\lvert a\rvert^2+\lvert b\rvert^2=1\}[/tex] be the unit sphere in [tex]\mathbb{R}^d\times\mathbb{R}^d[/tex], and define the function [tex]\widetilde{FP}_l:S\to[0,\infty)[/tex] by

[tex](a,b)\mapsto 2\sum_{n\neq l}(\langle a,a_n\rangle+\langle b,b_n\rangle)^2+(\langle b,a_n\rangle-\langle a,b_n\rangle)^2+1+\sum_{m\neq l}\sum_{n\neq l}|\langle x_m,x_n\rangle|^2,[/tex]

where the sums are otherwise over 1 through N, and l is some integer between 1 and N. Let [tex](a_l,b_l)\in S\subset\mathbb{R}^d\times\mathbb{R}^d[/tex] be a local minimizer of [tex]\widetilde{FP}_l[/tex].

Show that there exists a scalar [tex]c\in\mathbb{R}[/tex] such that both of the following equations hold:

(7.1) [tex]\nabla_a\widetilde{FP}_l(a,b)|_{(a,b)=(a_l,b_l)}=c\nabla_a(\lvert a\rvert^2+\lvert b\rvert^2)|_{(a,b)=(a_l,b_l)};[/tex]

(7.2) [tex]\nabla_b\widetilde{FP}_l(a,b)|_{(a,b)=(a_l,b_l)}=c\nabla_b(\lvert a\rvert^2+\lvert b\rvert^2)|_{(a,b)=(a_l,b_l)}.[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

The "Langrange equations," which I assume refers to the Euler-Lagrange equations.

Also, I do not understand what the symbols [tex]\nabla_a,\nabla_b[/tex] mean. I would expect they refer to some kind of gradient. But what's with the subscripts? I'm sorry to say I'm more than a little lost.

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand most of the rest of the proof to Theorem 7.3. But I just don't know how to interpret this business of Euler-Langrange equations.

If possible, I would like someone to show me in a textbook (I can get almost anything online or from my university library) what theorem to use, and what choices to make in applying the theorem. For instance, if a theorem calls for a function f, then what is a suitable choice of f in this case?

Thanks guys.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?